How to tell difference between Hot-rolled steel and col-rolled steel

In summary, hot-rolled steel and cold-rolled steel differ in their manufacturing processes, resulting in differences in their appearance and properties. Hot-rolled steel is made by heating the steel, making it more malleable and easier to shape, while cold-rolled steel is made by rolling the steel at room temperature, resulting in a smoother and stronger product. The difference in manufacturing process also affects the strength of the steel, with hot-rolled steel being generally stronger. Therefore, the best type of steel for a project will depend on specific needs and requirements.
zwwzli
I am assigned a job to check some materials of steel sheet.
Is there anyone here can help me to tell it by just looking?

I know hot-rolled has rougher surface than cold, but anthing else?

Thank you so mcuh!

Engineering news on Phys.org
zwwzli said:
I know hot-rolled has rougher surface than cold, but anthing else?
That's the surest way of telling (and usually, hot-rolled steel is more likely to have rusted). Also, no sheet that's 3/16" or thicker (roughly thicker than gauge 7) can be a cold-rolled sheet.

thank you Gokul 43201.

1. What is the main difference between hot-rolled steel and cold-rolled steel?

The main difference between hot-rolled steel and cold-rolled steel is the manufacturing process. Hot-rolled steel is made by heating the steel above its recrystallization temperature, which allows it to be easily shaped and formed. Cold-rolled steel, on the other hand, is made by rolling the steel at room temperature, resulting in a smoother and stronger product.

2. How can I visually distinguish between hot-rolled steel and cold-rolled steel?

Visually, hot-rolled steel will have a rough and scaly surface due to the high temperatures used in its production. Cold-rolled steel, on the other hand, will have a smoother and more polished surface. Additionally, hot-rolled steel may have a slightly rounded edge, while cold-rolled steel will have sharp edges.

3. Which type of steel is more malleable and easier to work with?

Hot-rolled steel is generally more malleable and easier to work with than cold-rolled steel due to its higher temperatures during production. This makes it a preferred choice for projects that require extensive shaping and forming, such as construction and automotive industries.

4. Does the difference in manufacturing process affect the strength of the steel?

Yes, the difference in manufacturing process does affect the strength of the steel. Hot-rolled steel has a higher yield strength and is generally stronger than cold-rolled steel. However, cold-rolled steel is often used for applications that require a higher degree of precision and a smoother surface, such as in the production of appliances and electronics.

5. How can I determine which type of steel is best for my project?

The best type of steel for your project will depend on your specific needs and requirements. If you need a strong and malleable material that can withstand high temperatures, hot-rolled steel may be the better choice. If your project requires a smoother surface and tighter tolerances, cold-rolled steel may be the better option. It is always best to consult with a professional or do thorough research before selecting a type of steel for your project.