Whats wrong with this imaginary number problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of imaginary numbers, specifically the square root of -1, denoted as i. There is a discussion about defining i and how it leads to various problems, particularly when using the rule that the square root of a product is equal to the product of the square roots. The conversation also delves into alternative ways of defining complex numbers, such as using pairs of real numbers or matrices.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I saw this thing where someone proved that the imaginary number, i, the sqrt(-1) was equal to 1.

here it is:

i= sqrt(-1)

i^2 = [sqrt(-1)]^2

i^2 = sqrt(-1) * sqrt(-1)

i^2 = sqrt(-1*-1)

i^2 = sqrt(1)

i^2 = 1

so

i = 1

I know there's something wrong here but i can't figure it out. any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't this in a "faq" somewhere? The "rule" [itex]\sqrt{a}\sqrt{b}= \sqrt{ab}[/itex] does not hold for complex numbers.
On a more fundamental level, "defining" i to be [itex]\sqrt{-1}[/tex] causes a problem: in the complex numbers every number, including -1, has two square roots. Since the complex numbers are not an "ordered field" as the real numbers are, we can't just declare i to be "the positive root". There are other ways of defining the complex numbers that avoid that problem.

ok thanks a lot ivy

yeah you need to use i^2 = -1 as the definition of i

here's a proof that -1=1.
define [tex]i = \sqrt{-1}[/tex]

then [tex]i=i[/tex]

=> [tex]\sqrt{-1} = \sqrt{-1}[/tex]

=> [tex]\sqrt{\frac{1}{-1}} = \sqrt{\frac{-1}{1}}[/tex]

=> [tex]\frac{\sqrt{1}}{\sqrt{-1}} = \frac{\sqrt{-1}}{\sqrt{1}}[/tex]

=> [tex]\sqrt{1}\sqrt{1} = \sqrt{-1}\sqrt{-1}[/tex]

=> [tex]1=-1[/tex]

fourier jr said:
here's a proof that -1=1.
define [tex]i = \sqrt{-1}[/tex]
then [tex]i=i[/tex]
=> [tex]\sqrt{-1} = \sqrt{-1}[/tex]
=> [tex]\sqrt{\frac{1}{-1}} = \sqrt{\frac{-1}{1}}[/tex]
=> [tex]\frac{\sqrt{1}}{\sqrt{-1}} = \frac{\sqrt{-1}}{\sqrt{1}}[/tex]
=> [tex]\sqrt{1}\sqrt{1} = \sqrt{-1}\sqrt{-1}[/tex]
=> [tex]1=-1[/tex]

I guess you can prove anything as long as you can define an y number as we want it to be.:tongue2: lol I get it the rule sqrt(ab)=sqrt(a)sqrt(b) doesn't work for complex numbers because i is defined as the sqrt of -1 and that rule would make it something else. Thanks a lot for all your help.:smile:

fourier jr said:
[tex]\sqrt{1}\sqrt{1} = \sqrt{-1}\sqrt{-1}[/tex]
[tex]1=-1[/tex]

I'm afraid that's wrong since (as others have pointed out already)
[tex] \sqrt{-1} = \pm i, \sqrt{1} = \pm 1[/tex]

and you have not accounted for that. Since that leads to various problems, it is not a good idea to define [itex]i = \sqrt{-1}[/itex].

yeah that's what i was trying to say. you've got to define i as the number with the property that i^2 = -1. that "proof" shows what happens when you try to define i as the square root of -1.

fourier jr said:
yeah you need to use i^2 = -1 as the definition of i
Even that's not sufficient. There are two complex numbers whose square is equal to -1. Which one do you mean?

A more standard way of defining the complex numbers is as pairs of real numbers, (a,b) with addition defined by (a,b)+ (c,d)= (a+c, b+d) and multiplication by (a,b)*(c,d)= (ac-bd, bc+ ad). Of course, the pairs (a,0) correspond to the real numbers. That way (0,1)*(0,1)= (0(0)-1(1),1(0)+0(1))= (-1, 0) and (0,-1)*(0,-1)= (0(0)-(-1)(-1),(-1)(0)+0(-1))= (-1,0) but now we can define i to be (0,1) rather than (0,-1). Of course, we can write
(a,b)= a(1,0)+ b(0,1) and since we are identifying (1, 0) with the real number 1 and (0,1) with i, a(1,0)+ b(0,1)= a+ bi.

I personally like this definition. We have the set of all matrices

[tex]\left(
\begin{array}{clrr}
x&-y\\
y&x
\end{array}
\right)[/tex]

such that [itex]x, y \in \mathbb{R}[/itex]. Under addition and multiplication of matrices we have a field. Furthermore, associate every matrix with an entity I will call a "complex number," which I will also write in a more compact notation [itex]x+iy[/itex]. The reason I choose this notation is because if I define [itex]i^2=-1[/itex], then the normal rules of manipulating algebraic expressions will still hold.

I prefer it because the multiplication of two complex numbers doesn't seem so arbitrary (although of course it is just as arbitrary, but I feel it's more aesthetic).

What is an imaginary number?

An imaginary number is a number that can be represented as a real number multiplied by the square root of -1. It is often denoted by the letter "i".

Why is it called an imaginary number?

It is called an imaginary number because it is not a real number and does not exist on the number line. It was originally thought to be "imaginary" because it did not have a practical use, but it is now widely used in mathematics and science.

What is the problem with this imaginary number problem?

The problem with this imaginary number problem could be a few things. It could be that the solution to the problem is not a real number, or the problem itself may be incorrect or unsolvable.

Can imaginary numbers be used in real life?

Yes, imaginary numbers have many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and electronics. They are used to solve problems that involve oscillatory motion, electrical circuits, and quantum mechanics.

How do you solve a problem with imaginary numbers?

To solve a problem with imaginary numbers, you can use the properties of imaginary numbers and the rules of algebra. If the problem involves finding the square root of a negative number, you can use the imaginary unit "i" to simplify the solution. It is also important to check your work and make sure the final answer is a real number.