Rice Pudding and other things that are wrong

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: I love blood pudding, I love roast beef and yorkshire pudding. I love steak and kidney pie. I would rather have my fingernails pulled out than eat rice or bread pudding.
LowlyPion said:
Actually it can taste worse. Or else I didn't get a good enough whiff before tasting. I'd as soon soak my tongue in turpentine as ever taste it again. Ever.
Well that seals it, I'm not going near the stuff.

As to hominy there wasn't enough sugar on the table to stop me from gagging on that stuff.
My dad loved it. Of course from all of the pipe and cigar smoking, I doubt he could tatste it.

Salvidor Dali vegetable medleys
:tongue2:

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
Borek NO! Please don't tell me that you have gone to the dark side!

I bet you can guess which side I'm on :wink:

Anybody here ever put Karo syrup on their pancakes?

Math Is Hard said:
No, but I like tuna mixed with mayonaise on mine. Chili pancakes are also very yummy. But my pancakes have no sugar in them, they aren't sweet.

Evo said:
I doubt he could tatste it.

It wasn't until I was older - we're talking in college older - that I even discovered it was related to corn. I just thought it was some nasty alien vegetable. I imagined stalks of the horrid stuff being harvested from thorny rocky hillsides and carried down in baskets to feed the starved who could find no other means of surviving. I remember thinking what a waste of corn when I discovered what it was.

As grits it was OK, because the cheese or other seasonings would carry it as filler. But for the life of me I never could understand how people even started to eat it plain except in desperation that would make palmetto bug roaches and rats look tasty.

Evo said:
No, but I like tuna mixed with mayonaise on mine. Chili pancakes are also very yummy. But my pancakes have no sugar in them, they aren't sweet.

I use sour cream in my pancake batter, no sugar, but then they only come served with maple syrup at breakfast. A crepe batter is better I think to use as wraps.

Math Is Hard said:
Nope! Grew up in the county that is the largest producer of maple syrup around. I used to tap trees every spring and haul buckets of sap around on an old toboggan, My mother would boil down the sap until it was dark, and it was so thick that it would almost start sugaring in the pan. You can't find real maple syrup like that anywhere. The stuff in the stores is crap. Now, we make pancakes with fruit or berries and top with a berry sauce instead of syrup. Apple pancakes (with cinnamon in the batter) topped with blackberry or blueberry sauce is very good.

When we ran out maple syrup, my mother would sometimes boil down sugar-water with vanilla extract to put on French toast or pancakes. That was OK.

LowlyPion said:
It wasn't until I was older - we're talking in college older - that I even discovered it was related to corn. I just thought it was some nasty alien vegetable. I imagined stalks of the horrid stuff being harvested from thorny rocky hillsides and carried down in baskets to feed the starved who could find no other means of surviving. I remember thinking what a waste of corn when I discovered what it was.
:rofl:

From an old thread, here are some foods that make me wonder "what were they thinking?"

Hakarl (Rotted Shark)

This is without a doubt the most pungent and dubious thing at the table. Tastes like a combination of dodgy fish and strong French cheese with a hint of ammonia. If you are new to shark and are offered some, it is wise to take the darkest piece you see (the lighter the colour, the stronger the taste). The shark is prepared by burying it in sand for about six months. Served cold in little pieces, be careful not to eat too much as it can result in diarrhea.

Note - do not attempt to prepare rotted shark at home! If you do it wrong or don't leave it in the ground for long enough, it's quite likely that you will die in agony from eating it, as it is full of neurotoxins and ammonia, which are filtered out using the process described above.

Hrutspungar (Sour Ram's Testicles)

Ram's testicles, pickled in whey, put in gelatin, pressed either into a cake with garlic, as a jam, or as a kind of pâté that tastes sour and spongy, with a texture reminiscent of pressed cod roe. Guidebooks comment: 'Not bad if you don't think about it too much, especially in pâté form.' Or you could just take their word for it.

Lundabaggar (Sour Lamb)

This is a tough one to explain - it is made from secondary meats, like colons and other such stuff, rolled up, boiled, pickled (made sour in mysa, more commonly known as whey), sliced and held together with string. Very fatty, it may be a good idea to cut away the fat before eating, as sour fat usually tastes bad, but it won't leave you with much meat on your plate.

Selshreyfar (Sour Seal Flippers)

The flippers of those adorable animals, made sour in milk and salted. They taste sour, salty and slimy. These are rare, except at some family feasts where the participants have hunted the seals themselves. Quite revolting.

Hvalrengi (Sour Whale-fat)

Made sour with milk. Tastes like sour papier mâché, and probably not very healthy either. Fresh whale blubber is stringy and tough, but apparently pickling it makes it soft and more easily digestible.

Kæst skata (Rotted Stingray)

Made in the same way as the shark, but not as pungent and offensive to the nose as the rotted shark. It has a strong smell of ammonia about it. Sometimes it is mashed, then it is called skotustappa. Usually eaten as a main course, with potatoes.

According to some sources, Skata originates from the Western fjords in the eighteenth century when the brighter lights of society, on þorláksmessa (the day before Christmas), gave their humble hired help 'Skata' so as to assure that until the next þorláksmessa, anything would taste better (!) while they themselves stuffed themselves with hangikjöt (see below).

Svid ('Burned' Sheep-heads)

Stuff that most people associate with devil-worship. A sheep's head that's been burned to remove the wool, cut in two in order to remove the brain, boiled, and either eaten fresh or pressed into jelly (Svidasulta, 'sheep-head jam'). Despite the rather gruesome appearance, these taste quite good.

Even though they look quite serene and peaceful, some people can't stand the thought of eating a burned head. Many people eat only the lower jaw and the tongue to avoid 'eye contact.'

As long as anyone can remember, Icelandic children have then used the lower jawbones as playthings, usually pretending that it was livestock such as sheep. However, after the 1940s, the jawbone became a gun in children's games, and cowboys and Indians became quite popular. Today the jawbone has been replaced by videogames.

Evo said:
foods that make me wonder "what were they thinking?"

They were thinking "We are hungry!"

Once you start getting into rotted secondary meats, I have other plans for dinner.

LowlyPion said:
Once you start getting into rotted secondary meats, I have other plans for dinner.
Nix on the sour seal flippers, eh?

Evo said:
Nix on the sour seal flippers, eh?

Maybe if they are baby seal.

LowlyPion said:
Maybe if they are baby seal.
<GASP>

Noooooo, not baby seals.

I've got to wonder if the development of most of those rotted-meat "treats" started out because the meat was buried to prevent animals from eating it. Surely, such exciting food experiments started well before refrigeration, and at times and places where salt was rare or unavailable. I guess rotted protein is better than none... Glad I have freezers, though.

Evo said:

I want your pancake recipe. Sounds like the little pancakes they serve with a Chinese dish - is it "Moo Shoo" I am thinking of?

turbo-1 said:
Nope! Grew up in the county that is the largest producer of maple syrup around. I used to tap trees every spring and haul buckets of sap around on an old toboggan, My mother would boil down the sap until it was dark, and it was so thick that it would almost start sugaring in the pan. You can't find real maple syrup like that anywhere. The stuff in the stores is crap. Now, we make pancakes with fruit or berries and top with a berry sauce instead of syrup. Apple pancakes (with cinnamon in the batter) topped with blackberry or blueberry sauce is very good.

When we ran out maple syrup, my mother would sometimes boil down sugar-water with vanilla extract to put on French toast or pancakes. That was OK.

You were blessed.

When I was a kid it seemed so normal to put Karo on pancakes, but now I look back and pouring on straight corn syrup sounds kinda gross.

Evo said:
<GASP>

Noooooo, not baby seals.

Not even if they were "harvested humanely" with clubs?

940warranty.jpg

:frown:

Math Is Hard said:
You were blessed.

When I was a kid it seemed so normal to put Karo on pancakes, but now I look back and pouring on straight corn syrup sounds kinda gross.
Corn syrup would have been weird (to me, at least). Often we would have sulfated Crosby's molasses on biscuits or pancakes, and sometimes melted butter and some brown sugar on French toast. My mother always added cinnamon to the beaten eggs before dipping the bread for French toast.

Sometimes we remember the little things... I got my love of cooking from her.

Evo said:
together?

Have you watched Andrew Zimmern?

Is that the bald fat guy who says stuff like, "You can really taste the blood, that's a good thing."?

turbo-1 said:
... My mother always added cinnamon to the beaten eggs before dipping the bread for French toast.

Interesting, so did mine. However I considered French toast to be another thing that is wrong.

I will do anything for good French toast. I'm not kidding.

What will you do for so-so french toast? If I make lots.

Topher925 said:
940warranty.jpg

OK.

I've lost my appetite for baby seal flipper now.

Think I'll go make myself a ludafisk sandwich. If you give a man a fishing pole and teach him to fish, he will never want for fish.
If you give a man ludafisk, he will never want fish.

tribdog said:
Is that the bald fat guy who says stuff like, "You can really taste the blood, that's a good thing."?
I think he's cute, too bad he's married. I melt when he makes those big cow eyes into the camera. :!)

Math Is Hard said:
I will do anything for good French toast. I'm not kidding.
Funny, my mother, being French, had never heard of French Toast, and we never had it.

LowlyPion said:
OK.

I've lost my appetite for baby seal flipper now.
That picture is very disturbing. :frown:

If you give a man a fishing pole and teach him to fish, he will never want for fish.
If you give a man ludafisk, he will never want fish.
:biggrin:

Here, according to a poll, are the top 20 most hated foods:

http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight/most-hated-foods

I still can't believe that blueberries made the list!

Janus said:

Was the poll restricted to nit-picky, finicky eaters that grew up in homes where no one could cook?

Damn! Almost everything on that list is on my favorite list. What is going on?

Janus said:

Blueberries and maple syrup? I can understand others being on the list, even if I like them (for example, I know people who don't like canned tuna or mayo) and I certainly approve of things like liver, canned peas (not fresh peas, just canned ones), cooked carrots and lima beans being on that list. :biggrin: But I've never heard of people who don't like blueberries and maple syrup! They probably had only 20 people voting. :rolleyes:

that is the dumbest list ever. there are way worse foods than the ones on that list. Mushrooms and Onions? Come on. I have to say though I always wondered about cilantro. Sometimes I like it and sometimes it tastes like soap I didn't know there was a genetic factor to that.

Moonbear said:
But I've never heard of people who don't like blueberries and maple syrup! They probably had only 20 people voting. :rolleyes:

Supposedly 75,000 people voted in that poll. I can only assume that 74,997 people split their votes among the other 18, two voted for maple syrup and one for blueberries.

I don't care for blueberrys, but I wouldn't put them on my worst list. About the only food I agree with is the Mayonnaise. I've never liked it or Miracle Whip.

tribdog said:
I don't care for blueberrys, but I wouldn't put them on my worst list. About the only food I agree with is the Mayonnaise. I've never liked it or Miracle Whip.
Miracle Whip sucks. Cain's real natural mayo is killer!

My childhood memories?
Boiled chicken with noodles. Yuck

Back