Double Slit Diffraction d/a

Therefore, the ratio of a/d should be adjusted to make this happen.In summary, the question involves finding the value of the ratio d/a that eliminates the third bright side fringe in a double-slit system. This can be achieved by setting the angle θ to correspond to the first minimum of the diffraction term and the 3rd maximum of the 2-slit interference term. The ratio of a/d can then be adjusted to meet this condition.
Zhalfirin88

Homework Statement

(a) In a double-slit system, what value of d/a causes diffraction to eliminate the third bright side fringe?

Homework Equations

[tex] I(\theta) = I_mcos^2(\beta)(\frac{sin(\alpha)}{\alpha})^2 [/tex]

[tex] \beta =\frac{\pi d}{\lambda} sin \theta [/tex]

[tex] \alpha = \frac{\pi a}{\lambda} sin \theta [/tex]

[tex] d sin\theta = 3 \lambda [/tex]

[tex] a sin\theta = (3+\frac{1}{2}) \lambda [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for a and d in equations 4 and 5 above and got a ratio of 0.857, which isn't right. I'm not sure really how to go about this, I have a feeling that I need to use equations 2 and 3 but I'm not making the connections.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is everyone as lost as I am with this problem?

Zhalfirin88 said:
[tex] d sin\theta = 3 \lambda [/tex]
Yes, the angle θ corresponds to the 3rd maximum (not counting central max) in the 2-slit interference term cos2β

[tex] a sin\theta = (3+\frac{1}{2}) \lambda [/tex]
Actually, the idea here is that θ also corresponds to the first minimum of the diffraction term [(sinα)/α]2

1. What is Double Slit Diffraction d/a?

Double slit diffraction d/a refers to a phenomenon where light waves pass through two narrow slits and interfere with each other, resulting in a pattern of bright and dark fringes on a screen. The d/a ratio represents the distance between the two slits (d) and the wavelength of the light (λ).

2. What is the importance of Double Slit Diffraction d/a in science?

Double slit diffraction d/a is important because it provides evidence for the wave nature of light. This phenomenon cannot be explained by the particle theory of light, but it aligns with the principles of wave interference. It also has practical applications in fields such as optics, spectroscopy, and microscopy.

3. How does the d/a ratio affect the pattern produced by Double Slit Diffraction?

The d/a ratio determines the spacing between the bright and dark fringes in the diffraction pattern. A smaller d/a ratio results in wider spacing, while a larger d/a ratio leads to narrower spacing. This relationship can be described by the equation dsinθ = mλ, where d is the distance between the slits, θ is the angle of diffraction, m is the order of the fringe, and λ is the wavelength of light.

4. What factors can affect the d/a ratio in Double Slit Diffraction?

The d/a ratio can be affected by the distance between the light source and the slits, the distance between the slits and the screen, and the wavelength of the light. Additionally, the size of the slits and the amount of light passing through them can also impact the d/a ratio and the resulting diffraction pattern.

5. How is Double Slit Diffraction d/a related to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle states that there is a fundamental limit to the precision with which certain pairs of physical properties of a particle, such as position and momentum, can be known simultaneously. In the case of Double Slit Diffraction, the d/a ratio is related to the position of the slits and the wavelength of the light, while the resulting diffraction pattern is related to the momentum or energy of the photons. Therefore, the d/a ratio and the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle are indirectly connected through the wave-particle duality of light.