Proof question: the sum of the reciprocals of the primes diverges

In summary, the approach taken in this conversation is to use the equation ∑1/p = log(e^∑1/p) = log(∏e^1/p) and logx→ ∞ as x→∞. This is proven by letting ∑1/p = s(x) and noting that e^s(x) diverges, and therefore loge^s(x) also diverges. This leads to the conclusion that the infinite product where every term exceeds 1 is divergent. However, this proof is incorrect, as shown by the example of the infinite product ##\Pi_{n=1}^{\infty} \exp(2^{-n}) = e##. The correct proof can be
drjohnsonn
The gist of the approach I took is that∑1/p = log(e^∑1/p) = log(∏e^1/p) and logx→ ∞ as x→∞.
Proof outline: let ∑1/p = s(x). (...SO I can write this easily on tablet) and note that e^s(x) diverges since e^1/p > 1 for any p and the infinite product where every term exceeds 1 is divergent. Then loge^s(x) diverges as logs as x→∞ would. Thus, since log(e^s(x)= s(x), the sum is found to be divergent

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
drjohnsonn said:
the infinite product where every term exceeds 1 is divergent.

That's not right.

Wow that isvrry wrong indeed. Thank you

Taking the advice i was initally given - by starting with a product represation of the harmonic series has cerainly panned out better. i keptthinking "my method doesn't seem right somewhere..."

Last edited:

1. What does it mean for the sum of the reciprocals of primes to diverge?

When we say that the sum of the reciprocals of primes diverges, it means that as we add more and more terms to the series (1/2 + 1/3 + 1/5 + 1/7 + ...), the sum will continue to get larger and larger without ever reaching a finite value. In other words, the sum will approach infinity.

2. How do we know that the sum of the reciprocals of primes actually diverges?

This is a well-known result in mathematics, known as the Euler's proof of the divergence of the sum of the reciprocals of primes. It was first proved by the famous mathematician Leonhard Euler in the 18th century. Since then, it has been studied and verified by many other mathematicians using various methods.

3. Can you provide an example of how the sum of the reciprocals of primes diverges?

One example is the Harmonic series, which is a special case of the sum of the reciprocals of primes where we consider all natural numbers instead of just primes. The sum of the reciprocals of all natural numbers also diverges, and it can be proven using similar methods as the proof for the sum of the reciprocals of primes.

4. What implications does the divergence of the sum of the reciprocals of primes have in mathematics?

This result has many important implications in mathematics, especially in the field of number theory. It shows that there is no finite upper bound for the number of primes, and that there are infinitely many primes. This result has also been used in the proof of other important theorems, such as the Prime Number Theorem.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the divergence of the sum of the reciprocals of primes?

While this result may not have any direct practical applications, it has been used in the development of encryption algorithms, such as the RSA encryption, which relies on the difficulty of factoring large numbers into their prime factors. This result has also been used in the analysis of various algorithms and in the study of prime numbers.