Intersection of an ideal with a subring (B)

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether the function that sends an ideal I' of R' to the ideal I' ∩ R of R is surjective from the set of ideals of R' to the set of ideals of R. A counterexample is given for the case of an integrally closed integral domain, K its fraction field, L a finite algebraic extension of K, and R' the integral closure of R in L.
coquelicot
In a previous thread, I asked a question different from that I actually intended to ask. Since this question is licit and was answered by micromass, I open this new thread.

The right question is in fact:

If R is an integral domain, and R' is INTEGRAL over R, then the function f which assigns to an ideal I' of R' the ideal I = I' ∩ R, sends surjectively the prime ideals of R' to the prime ideals of R, the maximal ideals of R' to the maximal ideals of R, and (not nessarily surjectively) a non prime ideal of R' to a non-prime ideal of R. [NOTE: THIS LAST CLAIM WAS PROVED TO BE FALSE IN THIS THREAD]

It would be nice if it could be proved that it sends SURJECTIVELY a non-prime ideal to a non-prime ideal, or equivalently, if it could be proved that f is a surjection from the set of ideals of R' to the set of ideals of R. But for the moment, I can only see that every ideal I of R is included in a maximal ideal of R'; the example of micromass in the previous thread does not fit here since Z_(2) is not integral over Z. Any ideas for a proof or a counter example ?

N.B: It is 2:00 in my country, so, I will react to possible rapid answers in several hours.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let ##K## be a field. Let ##R = K[x]## the polynomial ring. Let ##R^\prime = K[x,y]/(y^2 - y,xy-1)##. This is an extension of ##R## which is integral since ##y## is the root of the polynomial ##Z^2 - Z= 0##.

Consider the ideal ##I = (x)## in ##R##. Any ideal in ##R^\prime## which contains ##I## must contain the invertible element ##x##. Thus this ideal must be entire ##R^\prime##.

It is not true that non-prime ideals get sent to non-prime ideals under this map even for an integral extension. The contraction of a prime ideal will be prime again but this does not imply the contraction of a non-prime ideal is non-prime. As an example just take the rings [itex] R'=\mathbb{Z}[/itex] and [itex] R=\mathbb{Z} [/itex]. Then the ideal [itex] I=(2)_{\mathbb{Z}} [/itex] gets sent to the ideal [itex] \mathfrak{p}=(2)_{\mathbb{Z}} [/itex] when intersected with [itex] \mathbb{Z} [/itex] but [itex] \mathfrak{p} [/itex] is prime whereas [itex] I [/itex] is not a prime ideal.

So while the map definitely is not a surjective map from non-prime ideals to non-prime ideals, this is not equivalent to saying that we don't get a surjective map from all ideals to all ideals. In the example of the Gaussian integers I gave the map is surjective on all ideals since any ideal is principle and we always have [itex] (a)_{\mathbb{Z}}\cap \mathbb{Z}=(a)_{\mathbb{Z}} [/itex] for any [itex] a\in \mathbb{Z}[/itex].

[edited out the rest since the above post gives a counterexample.]

Likes 2 people
TERANDOL : Indeed, I made a stupid mistake in my proof. I have corrected my post in the previous thread so that further readers will not be influenced by this mistake, and also added a note in the subject of this thread.

MICROMASS : I don't understand something in your example : clearly, in R', xy=1 and [itex]y^2-y = 0 [/itex], hence multiplying this last equation by x2 leads to [itex]x^2y^2-x^2y=0= 1 - x [/itex]; so x = y = 1. How can R' be an extension of K[x] ?

Also, in order to give the maximal extent to the counter example I am looking for, let me formulate my question in a stronger way :

Let R be an integrally closed integral domain, K its fraction field, L a finite algebraic extension of K, and R' the integral closure of R in L. To prove or to disprove : the function that sends an ideal I' of R' to the ideal I' ∩ R of R is surjective from the set of ideals of R' to the set of ideals of R.

Last edited:
coquelicot said:
MICROMASS : I don't understand something in your example : clearly, in R', xy=1 and [itex]y^2-y = 0 [/itex], hence multiplying this last equation by x2 leads to [itex]x^2y^2-x^2y=0= 1 - x [/itex]; so x = y = 1. How can R' be an extension of K[x] ?

Yes, you are right. It is not a valid counterexample. I'll think about it tomorrow if nobody else has posted since then.

1. What is the definition of "intersection of an ideal with a subring (B)"?

The intersection of an ideal with a subring (B) is the set of elements that are common to both the ideal and the subring (B). It is denoted as I ∩ B and is a subset of both the ideal and the subring.

2. How is the intersection of an ideal with a subring (B) calculated?

The intersection of an ideal with a subring (B) is calculated by taking the elements that are common to both the ideal and the subring. This can be done by finding the elements that satisfy the conditions of both the ideal and the subring.

3. What is the significance of the intersection of an ideal with a subring (B)?

The intersection of an ideal with a subring (B) is significant because it helps to understand the relationship between the ideal and the subring. It also allows for the study of properties and characteristics shared by both the ideal and the subring.

4. Can the intersection of an ideal with a subring (B) be empty?

Yes, the intersection of an ideal with a subring (B) can be empty if there are no elements that satisfy the conditions of both the ideal and the subring. In this case, the two sets have no common elements and the intersection is therefore an empty set.

5. How does the intersection of an ideal with a subring (B) relate to other mathematical concepts?

The intersection of an ideal with a subring (B) is related to other mathematical concepts such as set theory, ring theory, and group theory. It is also related to the concepts of subrings, ideals, and homomorphism. The intersection can be used to prove theorems and properties in these areas of mathematics.