Northern Hemisphere: Impact on Global Population & Maps

• Thread starter Holocene
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hemisphere
In summary, the question is whether or not the maps of the world are "upside-down" when looking at them from space. The answer is that they are not, and have not been for hundreds of years.
Holocene
I'm not much of a historian, but I believe that if you take a good look at history, most initial technological advances, understandings in science, formation of governments, religions, most everything we associate with the so-called "modern day world", including civilizations themselves, have occurred or initiated themselves in the northern hemisphere of the Earth. I haven't researched it, but I believe the greater percentage of the global population lives north of the equator.

The question is, if all this happened in the southern hemisphere instead, would we see maps of the world "upside-down", globes with Antarctica at the "top", drawings of the planet, again, "upside-down" in space?

Because really, there is no "top" to the Earth. To take apart a globe and mount the Earth "upside-down" in its frame, really does not in any way detract from the accuracy and usefulness of that globe. It is still a legitimate representation of the Earth, and the position in my be observed from in space.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The reason for the way civilization arose is discussed ,IMO, very well in 'Guns, Germs and Steel' by Jared Diamond

And yes, having what we call North being "up" is just like all of the really old world maps that conveniently had whatever country the map was made for as the center of the world. Other than being good PR and selling maps to dingbat potentates of tiny countries, there was no good reason. Just as arbitrary as North being up.

I wonder how the Aussies feel about this? All upside-down?

Holocene said:
Because really, there is no "top" to the Earth. To take apart a globe and mount the Earth "upside-down" in its frame, really does not in any way detract from the accuracy and usefulness of that globe. It is still a legitimate representation of the Earth, and the position in my be observed from in space.
What kind of a radical heretic are you, coming in here and saying that our maps show a ficticious upside? North is always up. :uhh: A few hundred years ago you could be burned for this.

How do you explain photos of the Earth from space always showing the north pole at the top of the picture? :wink:

gee, I hope everyone knows I'm kidding.

Last edited:
Most of the Earth's habitable land mass is in the norther hemisphere, seems only natural that that is where most of the people would be, therefore that is where civilizations will form.

Integral said:
Most of the Earth's habitable land mass is in the norther hemisphere, seems only natural that that is where most of the people would be, therefore that is where civilizations will form.
True, plus if you go for the "out of Africa" theory, following the migration will show heavy population growth in the northern hemishere before spreading into the southern hemisphere.

I always thought it was just because I live in the northern hemisphere.

- Warren

chroot said:
I always thought it was just because I live in the northern hemisphere.

- Warren

Wrong. It's 'cos of ME!

jcsd said:
Wrong. It's 'cos of ME!

Well, we can't both be right. I declare war!

- Warren

chroot said:
Well, we can't both be right. I declare war!

- Warren

Yep, you live in the northern hemisphere alright.

I believe north-up maps started becoming popular with the combined use of the magnetic compass and Polaris (the North Star) for navigation by European traders, explorers and naval fleets. The Aussies still like to use south-up maps for kicks!

The natural orientation of our planet is North to the left and South to the right. Seen this way, the Earth rotates the normal way, like credits roll at the end of a movie. Other attempts at so-called "proper" orientation are clearly arbitrary. This is so obvious that I will not even discuss it.

out of whack said:
The natural orientation of our planet is North to the left and South to the right.
Many medieval maps were drawn this way, but in their case, the idea was to have Jerusalem be upwards from Europe.

Gokul43201 said:
Many medieval maps were drawn this way, but in their case, the idea was to have Jerusalem be upwards from Europe.

I said I would not discuss it. :grumpy:

North is up. That is why we Americans stand firmly on the Earth, while the Chinese dangle from it by their feet. On one side of the equator, they stick out from the Earth at right angles, and on the other they stick out at left angles.

jimmysnyder said:
North is up. That is why we Americans stand firmly on the Earth, while the Chinese dangle from it by their feet. On one side of the equator, they stick out from the Earth at right angles, and on the other they stick out at left angles.
We Canadians are Norther and more upright than you tilty savages.

jimmysnyder said:
North is up.

This can't be right because South is right. So what's left? North, of course. No discussion.

Being a scientist first and a true believer second, I set up the following gedanken experiment after first acquiring the requisite equipment:

Move the majority of the people to the Southern Hemisphere and see how maps and globes would be affected.

Traffic accidents increased dramatically as people took their eyes off the road to read maps that had been rendered upside down. Actually the changes to the maps was the least of our troubles. The angular momentum of the universe immediately changed signs. On the good side, there was an economic boom triggered by the sudden need for new globes. But the worst was yet to come. The entire planet tipped over like an egg the day after an equinox. Then I woke up from the experiment. Whew.

DaveC426913 said:

Sure, espousing the misguided view that North is on top instead of being to the left explains things like this...
Canada.jpg

...which I won't even discuss.

DaveC426913 said:
:rofl: Say, that's pretty good English for a foreigner.

1. What is the Northern Hemisphere and how does it impact global population?

The Northern Hemisphere is the half of the Earth that is located north of the equator. It is home to about 90% of the world's population, which has a significant impact on global population trends and dynamics. As the most populated hemisphere, it plays a crucial role in shaping global economic, social, and environmental patterns.

2. How does the Northern Hemisphere affect the distribution of population around the world?

The Northern Hemisphere tends to have higher population densities compared to the Southern Hemisphere. This is due to various factors such as historical and cultural developments, climate and natural resources, and economic opportunities. As a result, the majority of the world's population is concentrated in the Northern Hemisphere, particularly in Asia and Europe.

3. What are the main reasons for the population concentration in the Northern Hemisphere?

The Northern Hemisphere offers better living conditions and opportunities for human development, which attract people from other regions. These include access to resources, higher standards of living, better healthcare, and educational opportunities. Additionally, many of the world's largest cities and economic centers are located in the Northern Hemisphere, making it a hub for economic and social activities.

4. How are maps used to represent the impact of the Northern Hemisphere on global population?

Maps are essential tools for visualizing and analyzing the distribution of population around the world. They can show population densities, migration patterns, and other demographic trends influenced by the Northern Hemisphere. By using maps, scientists can better understand the impact of the Northern Hemisphere on global population and how it may change in the future.

5. What are some potential future implications of the Northern Hemisphere's impact on global population?

As the Northern Hemisphere continues to be the most populated region in the world, it is likely to face challenges such as resource depletion, environmental degradation, and social and economic inequalities. This could also lead to increased migration from other regions, putting pressure on the Northern Hemisphere's resources and infrastructure. It is crucial for scientists and policymakers to monitor and address these issues to ensure a sustainable future for the entire global population.