Tension in Strings HELP thanks-very simple.

In summary, to find the tension in the string, you need to know the angle the string makes with the object, the length of the string, and the weight of the object. If you have a diagram, that will make the calculations much easier.
You need to learn how to find the components of a vector. If you have some vector with magnitude F that makes an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] with the x-axis (the horizontal), the components are:
  • vertical (y) component = [itex]F \sin\theta[/itex]
  • horizontal (x) component = [itex]F \cos\theta[/itex]
I recommend looking at the examples on this page, especially the one with the dog on a leash: http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/GBSSCI/PHYS/Class/vectors/u3l1e.html" . In fact I strongly recommend that you spend a good bit of time exploring the rest of that site to better understand forces, components, and equilibrium.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
oh okay i think i get what you are saying. thank you!

so what i basically have to do is this: 41.81*2*T= 156.96?
is that what it means. i think?

because the Tension in the x equals mass times gravity= 156.96
and the Tension in the y equals sin (theda) = 1.118
and the Tension in the x of the angle equals cos (theda) = 1/1.5

No. What angle does each string make with the horizontal?

physicsbhelp said:
Good! Now use what I told you in post #36.

so sin(48.187) + cos (48.187) = 0

wait no sorry it should be: sin(48.187) + cos (48.187) = mg

right?

No. In post #36, I told you that:
Doc Al said:
vertical (y) component = [itex]F \sin\theta[/itex]
In your problem, the F would represent the tension in the string. So write down the vertical component. (Just plug in the angle and compute the sin.)

Since you have two strings, you'll have to double it.

Remember: F, the tension, is an unknown. Once you get the equilibrium equation written, you will solve for F.

oooo now i get what you mean so its 2F(sin(theda))
so basically i got 2*(sin(48.187))F
which = 1.491F

but what i don't get is how you have 2 STRINGS because i am jus ttlaking about diagram a) so i hope u are not trying to figure out the tension in both the pictures.
or are you saying that since the big traingle can be divided into two triangles, there are two strings?

physicsbhelp said:
oooo now i get what you mean so its 2F(sin(theda))
so basically i got 2*(sin(48.187))F
which = 1.491F
Exactly! Now set that equal to what?

physicsbhelp said:
but what i don't get is how you have 2 STRINGS because i am jus ttlaking about diagram a) so i hope u are not trying to figure out the tension in both the pictures.
or are you saying that since the big traingle can be divided into two triangles, there are two strings?
As far as the forces go, you can view the mass as being pulled by two strings--one left and one right. (Of course, it's just two parts of the same string, but that doesn't matter.)

okay so now i totally get you.

thanks
so now the next step i set 1.491F=mg?
or 1.491F=.6667--cos(48.187)

physicsbhelp said:
so now the next step i set 1.491F=mg?
Yes! Then solve for the tension, F.
or 1.491F=.6667--cos(48.187)
No! :yuck:

PhysicsB, though this may seem unrelated to this thread, what book are you working from? I know what course you are taking (The same one as myself) but what book are you working from?

THANK YOU

ooo okay so let's see. (btw nice smiley face haha)

okay so mg=156.96
so 1.491F=156.96
so F= 105.2963827Newtons?

is that the correct answer?! THANK YOU

_Mayday_ said:
PhysicsB, though this may seem unrelated to this thread, what book are you working from? I know what course you are taking (The same one as myself) but what book are you working from?

i am not using a book. my physics teacher believes that we should not use books becuase it hinders your learning of physics. so he gives us random questions.

Yes but do you use a book in class to learn from or to use as a reference?

No, that is what i just said. our teacher did not tell us to buy a book. we do not use any book. he just gives us notes on equations and then we get problems that he sends us through webassign or something

so i hope you got my answer Doc Al, is it right?

physicsbhelp said:
okay so mg=156.96
so 1.491F=156.96
so F= 105.2963827Newtons?
Looks good! (Round off your final answer to some reasonable number of significant figures.)

physicsbhelp said:
i am not using a book. my physics teacher believes that we should not use books becuase it hinders your learning of physics. so he gives us random questions.
You've got to be kidding! :eek:

I would say buying a book does the opposite, it does not hinder your progress it guides you in the right direction. These questions on vectors are not easy a first but with the help of a book you can work through some excercises and make sure you are doing the correct thing.

OMG OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG thank you soooo much DOC AL YOU
ARE THE BEST OF THE BEST!
!
!
!
!

Last edited:
Doc Al said:
You've got to be kidding! :eek:

Exactly what I thought, it's insane! You need something to reference all your work or to use as a base for all your knowledge...

The real question is do you understand it and would you be able to do a similar one again with no help?

and yah , that is why i need so much help on these questions because we don't have books! haha

okay so for part b the answer would be 1.72089Hz

probably not, i need a suggestion for ONE good BOOK for PHysics that is not too expensive.

nvm that part b answer is wrong. i don't get it. wouldn't harmonic=3

I would talk to your teacher about it and say that you are looking for a book to help provide a base for your work. If you have solved the whole question mark the thread as solved.

and wouldn't the wavelenth be 3.33333 becuase L= x*wavelength /2 and L=10 and x=3 so wavelength equal 3.3333333
or do i solve for frequency through finding the velocity which is the square root of Tension/Density

i know how to mark the thread as solved, however we have not finished the problem, there is a part b) it is on the first page of this thread.

right?

mayday or doc al can you help with part b)

The standing wave pattern on the string segment (whose length is 2m) contains how many wavelengths? Use that to figure out the wavelength.