Higher order partial derivatives

In summary, we are given a partial differential equation and are asked to solve for s and t in terms of x and y. We make the substitution x = s^2 - t^2 and y = s - t to simplify the equation. By combining the equations, we can solve for s and t as functions of x and y. The solution is s = x + y^2 / 2y and t = x - y^2 / 2x.
magnifik
Consider the partial di erential equation, (y4-x2)uxx - 2xyuxy - y2uyy = 1. We will make the substitution x = s2 - t2 and y = s - t, to simplify

(a) Solve for s and t as functions of x and y

the farthest point i got to was
x = s^2 - t^2 = (s+t)(s-t) = y(s+t)
y = s - t
s+t = x/y

i don't know what to do after that.. i have the solution, but i have no idea how to get to it.
the solution is
s = x + y^2 / 2y
t = x - y^2 / 2x

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi magnifik! :smile:

No, you're mssing the point …

that isn't the solution, it's just writing s and t in terms of x and y …

s+t = x/y, s-t = y, so 2s = x/y + y = (x + y2)/y, 2t = (x - y2)/y.

To get the solution, you need to find uss ust and utt (and I expect ust will be zero, which will make the solution fairly easy :wink:).

errr.. i meant the solution for part a, which was putting x and y in terms of s and t. thanks!

but i don't understand how you got from s+t = x/y, s-t = y to 2s and 2t...how did you combine the previous two equations to get that?

Excuse me, tiny-tim, but the only question asked was "(a) Solve for s and t as functions of x and y".

Presumably, there is a "b" but so far all we want to do is solve for s and t.

magnifik, you have [itex]x= s^2- t^2[/itex] and [itex]y= s- t[/itex].

From [itex]y= s- t[/itex] you can say that [itex]s= y+ t[/itex] and, putting that into [itex]x=s^2- t^2[/itex], [itex]x= y^2+2yt+ t^2- t^2= y^2+ 2yt[/itex]. Solve that equation for t, then replace t by that expression in [itex]s= y+ t[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
Excuse me, tiny-tim, but the only question asked was "(a) Solve for s and t as functions of x and y".

Presumably, there is a "b" but so far all we want to do is solve for s and t.

magnifik, you have [itex]x= s^2- t^2[/itex] and [itex]y= s- t[/itex].

From [itex]y= s- t[/itex] you can say that [itex]s= y+ t[/itex] and, putting that into [itex]x=s^2- t^2[/itex], [itex]x= y^2+2yt+ t^2- t^2= y^2+ 2yt[/itex]. Solve that equation for t, then replace t by that expression in [itex]s= y+ t[/itex].

THANK YOU! makes so much sense now :)

magnifik said:
but i don't understand how you got from s+t = x/y, s-t = y to 2s and 2t...how did you combine the previous two equations to get that?

erm :redface: … I added, and subtracted!

Add s+t to s-t, you get 2s; subtract, you get 2t …

this is a common transformation, and you should be familiar with it. :wink:

What are higher order partial derivatives?

Higher order partial derivatives refer to the derivatives of a function with respect to multiple independent variables. They are used to measure the rate of change of a function with respect to changes in more than one variable.

How are higher order partial derivatives calculated?

To calculate higher order partial derivatives, the function is differentiated with respect to each independent variable, one at a time. The resulting derivatives are then differentiated again with respect to the same variables. This process can be repeated to obtain higher order partial derivatives.

What is the significance of higher order partial derivatives in mathematics?

Higher order partial derivatives are essential in understanding the behavior of multivariable functions. They provide information about the curvature and rate of change of a function in multiple directions, which is useful in optimization and modeling complex systems.

Can higher order partial derivatives have different values at the same point?

Yes, it is possible for higher order partial derivatives to have different values at the same point. This is because the rate of change of a function can vary in different directions, and higher order partial derivatives capture this information.

How do higher order partial derivatives relate to Taylor series?

Higher order partial derivatives are used to construct Taylor series, which are mathematical representations of functions using a finite number of terms. Higher order partial derivatives are needed to accurately approximate the behavior of a function at a specific point using a Taylor series.