Robotics Yaw Pitch Roll Euler Angles

In summary, the person is trying to move a fixture from robot to robot with the goal of having it look perfect. They need to find the yaw pitch and roll and convert them into Euler angles in order to do that. The process of doing that is difficult and involves a lot of assumptions, but can be done if the assumptions are correct.
RotbotGuy
I have multiple robot cells that i would like to move fixtures from robot to robot with the out come of the part to be perfect. in order to do that i need to make sure my work object is in the same spot each time. so i need to find the yaw pitch and roll and convert them into Euler angles.

On each fixture i will have a small 1" cube i that i will touch off on and find points to get the yaw, roll and pitch. as of now i am talking 2 points for each yaw roll and pitch, but I am having a hard time finding the Euler angles. I also know the coordinates of the center of the cube

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The time evolution of the Euler angles is dreadfully difficult in the general case, due to the extreme non-linearity of the diff.eqs governing it.

Often, it is assumed only tiny changes in the quantities involved, so that linearization of the diff.eqs is justified; is that an acceptable procedure in your case?

If not, then I'm sure there exists a vast technical literature in how to tackle the problem, but I would think it is very complicated, indeed...

arildno said:
The time evolution of the Euler angles is dreadfully difficult in the general case, due to the extreme non-linearity of the diff.eqs governing it.

Often, it is assumed only tiny changes in the quantities involved, so that linearization of the diff.eqs is justified; is that an acceptable procedure in your case?

If not, then I'm sure there exists a vast technical literature in how to tackle the problem, but I would think it is very complicated, indeed...

Im not picking up what you're putting down...

RotbotGuy said:
in order to do that i need to make sure my work object is in the same spot each time. so i need to find the yaw pitch and roll and convert them into Euler angles.
A general comment: It would help if you spelled better. Many of the members at this site are picky, pedantic types who really do not like the general decline in grammar in the US.

That said, the leap from step 1 (ensure the object is in the same spot each time) to step 2 (finding yaw, pitch, and roll, and converting those to Euler angles) is not a necessity. It appears to be a consequence of how you have chosen to represent rotations.

Before going any further, what exactly do you mean by "find the yaw pitch and roll and convert them into Euler angles"? Yaw, pitch, and roll *are* Euler angles to many. Did you mean the standard ZYZ Euler angles when you said you needed to convert yaw, pitch, and roll to Euler angles?

D H said:
A general comment: It would help if you spelled better. Many of the members at this site are picky, pedantic types who really do not like the general decline in grammar in the US.

That said, the leap from step 1 (ensure the object is in the same spot each time) to step 2 (finding yaw, pitch, and roll, and converting those to Euler angles) is not a necessity. It appears to be a consequence of how you have chosen to represent rotations.

Before going any further, what exactly do you mean by "find the yaw pitch and roll and convert them into Euler angles"? Yaw, pitch, and roll *are* Euler angles to many. Did you mean the standard ZYZ Euler angles when you said you needed to convert yaw, pitch, and roll to Euler angles?

Sorry about the grammar,

I Need to input the Euler angles of my work object. I want to make sure when I move a fixture to a different cell, the plastic part it is being cut the same in each cell. So I figured by finding the yaw, pitch, and roll, I would be able to correct any error. I have found a way to find the angle of the error. Now i just need to apply it to the correct function.

What are robotics yaw, pitch, roll and Euler angles?

Robotics yaw, pitch, roll and Euler angles are mathematical representations of the orientation of a body in three-dimensional space, commonly used in robotics and aerospace engineering. Yaw, pitch, and roll represent rotations around the vertical, transverse, and longitudinal axes, respectively, while Euler angles describe the sequence of these rotations.

Why are yaw, pitch, roll and Euler angles important in robotics?

Yaw, pitch, roll and Euler angles are important in robotics because they provide a standardized way to describe the orientation of a robot or its components. This information is crucial for controlling the movement and behavior of robots, as well as for navigation and mapping purposes.

What is the difference between Euler angles and quaternions in robotics?

Euler angles and quaternions are both ways to represent orientation in three-dimensional space, but they have different advantages and disadvantages. Euler angles are intuitive and easy to visualize, but they are prone to gimbal lock and can be difficult to use for calculations. Quaternions, on the other hand, are more compact and efficient for calculations, but they are less intuitive and require more complex math to understand.

Can yaw, pitch, roll and Euler angles be used for any type of robot?

Yes, yaw, pitch, roll and Euler angles can be used for any type of robot, as long as it has three degrees of freedom and a defined coordinate system. However, some robots may require different conventions or coordinate systems for representing these angles, depending on their design and purpose.

How are yaw, pitch, roll and Euler angles measured or calculated?

Yaw, pitch, roll and Euler angles can be measured using sensors such as accelerometers, gyroscopes, and magnetometers, which provide information about the orientation of the robot in relation to its surrounding environment. They can also be calculated using mathematical equations based on the robot's movements and rotations.