Senior Project ideas and thesis help

In summary, the student is seeking help in finding a senior project topic and thesis related to their interest in physics and astronomy. They mention their current courses in AP physics and Calculus AB, but are unsure how to turn their interest in the sky and beyond into a thesis. One suggestion is to explore Kepler's laws, while other ideas include measuring distances to remote objects, creating a sundial, studying the Earth's magnetic field, and investigating the chemistry of Saturn's moon Titan's atmosphere. The student is required to write 8 pages and have a mentor and field hours for their project. They have also considered local resources, but have not found any helpful suggestions.
daseulkorean
Hello I'm a senior at RHS in Hawaii and I need help in finding a senior project topic and thesis. I am extremely interested in physics and astronomy. Anything that has to do with the sky and beyond deeply interests me. However I do not know what to make a thesis out of those.

I am in AP physics and Calc AB right now with a little background in AP chem if that helps.

Any advices and comments would be helpful :) thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do something with Kepler's laws.

When I read "thesis" I thought you were talking about M.S. thesis.
I don't know what thesis means in high school.

For senior project I have to create a thesis in which I can prove and apply. For example, if it was breakdancing and my thesis was that it strengthens one's body, I can do tests to prove that and ultimately apply it to myself. Something like that.

Kepler's law is very interesting but I wouldn't know how to make a thesis and to prove something like that..

I think you should research about the accidental chemical chains formed in universe and their implications on physicals' laws.

Good luck !

1. Why do we need larger telescopes? Because they can collect more light and eventually see farther. To prove that, you would need a photosensor and a multimeter, plus tubes of various dameters, representing a telescope tube.

2. Another idea: measuring distances to remote objects. Thesis: you can measure the distance to a star without traveling "there" by measuring parallax.

3. Make a sundial. It is not that simple as it sounds. Make it so that it would show correct time both in summer and in winter. Hint: note that sunrise/sunset points are closer on the horizon in winter than in summer, and also note sunrise/sunset times.

4. Direction of the Earth's magnetic field. Which way the lines go; that is, do they go from the North pole to the South pole or in the opposite direction? To find this out, you just need a magnet, a needle, and some cork. Magnetize the needle in such a way that you know where the North magnetic pole of the _needle_. Then make the needle float in water and orient itself along the magnetic lines. Now remember that the North of one magnet (needle) will orient towards South of the other (the Earth).

5. Is the Earth tilted? In what sense, and how to prove it? How obliquity and ellipticity interplay?... http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php?number=208 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
How about investigating the chemistry of the atmosphere of Saturn's moon Titan?

Very interesting stuff there.

Last edited:
lm_tech said:
How about investigating the chemistry of the atmosphere of Saturn's moon Titan?

Very interesting stuff there.

How can one get a sample?

Thank you everyone for your ideas! They all sound good except most sounds like youre proving something that is definite already. As in it's too easy and simple. I am required to write 8 pages and have a mentor and many field hours.
I like oriona's idea though. Could you give me an example of a accidental chemical chain?

daseulkorean, welcome to Physics Forums! You said you are interested in Physics and Astronomy. Have you considered the resources in Astronomy nearby? There is a huge amount of real astronomy being done in your backyard! Have a look:

http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/mko/telescope_table.htm

You probably have neighbors and friends all around you who are involved with astronomy. Find them, talk to them, and use the resources nearby you.

I have but they don't have any good suggestions or ideas..

1. What are some unique senior project ideas?

Some unique senior project ideas could include developing a new app or software, conducting a research study on a current social issue, creating a business plan for a sustainable company, or designing a prototype for a new product.

2. How do I choose a suitable thesis topic?

Choosing a suitable thesis topic involves considering your interests, skills, and the feasibility of the project. It is also important to research current trends and gaps in your field of study, and seek guidance from your professors or advisors.

3. What is the difference between a senior project and a thesis?

A senior project is typically a hands-on, practical experience in which students apply their knowledge and skills to create a tangible product or solution. A thesis, on the other hand, is a formal research paper that presents an original argument or idea, supported by evidence and analysis.

4. How can I find resources and support for my senior project or thesis?

You can start by consulting your professors or academic advisors for guidance and resources related to your project. You can also utilize online research databases, library resources, and academic journals. Additionally, reaching out to professionals or experts in your field can provide valuable insights and support.

5. What are the key components of a successful senior project or thesis?

A successful senior project or thesis should have a clear and specific research question or problem to address, a well-defined methodology or approach, thorough research and analysis, and a well-written and organized final report or presentation. It should also demonstrate critical thinking, creativity, and the ability to apply knowledge and skills to real-world situations.