Can a Neutron Star Fragment Become a Meteor and Survive on Earth?

In summary, neutron stars are said to have masses so compact that 10 miles of it would have more mass than the sun. For example, two neutron star collides could form a small fragment that would be more massive than the sun. If a small piece of neutron star material were to enter Earth's atmosphere and reach land, it would be unstable and would probably explode. As DaveC said, strangelet matter, which is made entirely of neutrons and is predicted to be more stable, cannot exist in the real universe because there is no ridiculously strong gravity to keep the neutrons as neutrons.
waterfall
Neutron star is said to have masses so compact that 10 miles of it would have more mass than the sun. For example two neutron star collides, can a small fragment be separated from it forming a meteor? And if a small piece were to enter Earth atmosphere and reach land. Would the neutron star as small as ping pong ball be stable enough to keep as a collection?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
waterfall said:
Neutron star is said to have masses so compact that 10 miles of it would have more mass than the sun. For example two neutron star collides, can a small fragment be separated from it forming a meteor? And if a small piece were to enter Earth atmosphere and reach land. Would the neutron star as small as ping pong ball be stable enough to keep as a collection?

No. It is compact because of the massive gravity. Once separated from all that mass, it will not stay compact. Essentially, matter ejected from a neutron star would explode into gas and dust.

Given the massive gravity, it's not likely that any ejecta could leave the surface.

As DaveC said, if neutron star material gets torn loose from the star, it de-compresses into ordinary atoms. In fact, there is a hypothesis that the heaviest elements on the Earth, known as r-process elements, may have been formed from material torn loose from neutron stars during the merger of two neutron stars. Here's a link:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1105.2453

Bad news for scifi fans, 'neutronium' and refrigerator light fairies are equally probable in the real universe.

I guess the only good collector item meteorites are matter made up of strangelets. This is because antimatter meteor can explode even before impact as it touch the oxygen in the atmosphere.. but how come the Tuguska meteor was able to reach near land.. and didn't impact in the clouds when it got in contact with water vapor?

waterfall said:
I guess the only good collector item meteorites are matter made up of strangelets. This is because antimatter meteor can explode even before impact as it touch the oxygen in the atmosphere.. but how come the Tuguska meteor was able to reach near land.. and didn't impact in the clouds when it got in contact with water vapor?

There is no reason to suppose the Tunguska meteor was anything more than a garden variety comet or meteor that exploded in the atmo. There's lot's of fanciful hypotheses about antimatter or micro black hole blah blah but no basis for it.

waterfall said:
Would the neutron star as small as ping pong ball be stable enough to keep as a collection?

If I had this in my collection, how could I support it for viewing?

You would need to recruit a refrigerator light fairy to keep it stable.

Chronos said:
Bad news for scifi fans, 'neutronium' and refrigerator light fairies are equally probable in the real universe.

I don't understand, can you elaborate? I thought that "neutronium" was just a term for matter that is made entirely of neutrons, and that this term was used mostly in sci-fi and very rarely by actual scientists.

We believe that neutron stars (save for their outermost layers) are made up entirely of neutrons, and thus would qualify for being described as "neutronium" objects (if anyone actually used this term outside of sci-fi). I thought we had pretty good evidence that neutron stars exist in the "real" universe.

Or are you just saying that man-made objects, constructed from "solid neutronium", and hence being super strong, (as depicted in sci-fi), cannot exist, precisely because there is no ridiculously strong gravity to keep the neutrons as neutrons, and they will spontaneously decay into protons and electrons?

Chronos said:
You would need to recruit a refrigerator light fairy to keep it stable.

What I was getting at was how could I support its weight...?

Degenerate matter relies on the enormous gravitation of its parent 'star' to stabilize it. If you try to excise any of it from the gravitational field, it will not be pretty.

Bear in mind a 'free' neutron has a half life less than 15 minutes. Neutron stars obviously survive much longer than that.

While neutron degenerate matter isn't considered stable outside the gravitation field of a neutron star, it's predicted that strange quark matter might be-
..Comparison of the energy per baryon of 56Fe and nuclear matter with the energy per brayon of 2-flavour (u, d quarks) and 3-flavour (u, d, s quarks) strange quark matter. Theoretically the energy per baryon of strange matter may be below 930 MeV, which would render such matter more stabe than nuclear matter.

http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0407155 page 19 fig 11.

1) Can a neutron star fragment survive the journey from space to Earth?

Yes, a neutron star fragment can potentially survive the journey from space to Earth. However, it would have to be a small fragment and enter Earth's atmosphere at a low angle to avoid burning up due to friction.

2) How does a neutron star fragment become a meteor?

A neutron star fragment becomes a meteor when it enters Earth's atmosphere and starts to heat up due to friction. This causes the outer layer of the fragment to vaporize and create a glowing trail in the sky.

3) Can a neutron star fragment cause damage if it lands on Earth?

It is highly unlikely that a neutron star fragment would cause any significant damage if it were to land on Earth. The fragment would have to be extremely large and enter at a high speed to cause any damage, which is highly improbable.

4) Are there any known instances of neutron star fragments surviving on Earth?

There are no confirmed instances of neutron star fragments surviving on Earth. However, there have been a few cases where meteorites with a high concentration of iron were suspected to be fragments of a neutron star.

5) How are neutron star fragments different from other meteors?

Neutron star fragments are different from other meteors because they are made up of extremely dense material, such as iron and other heavy elements. They also have a higher chance of surviving the journey to Earth due to their composition.