How to convert AC Watts to DC Watts

In summary, if you have a 125 volt, 10 watt light and want to use it with a different voltage, you need to find the resistance of the light and use that number when hooking it up to the different voltage.
John1397
I do not work with this type of conversion so I am not familiar on how to understand so here is my problem I have a electrical supply line putting out DC current at .6 amps by 17 volts which equals 10.2 watts here is my question if I take a 125 volt AC bulb rated 10 watts will this be enough power to burn the bulb as bright as both the output watts on DC supply and bulb are rated the same at 10 watts?

John

Engineering news on Phys.org
John1397 said:
I do not work with this type of conversion so I am not familiar on how to understand so here is my problem I have a electrical supply line putting out DC current at .6 amps by 17 volts which equals 10.2 watts here is my question if I take a 125 volt AC bulb rated 10 watts will this be enough power to burn the bulb as bright as both the output watts on DC supply and bulb are rated the same at 10 watts?

John

The key to watts is that in a resistive load the conversion is one for one. However, it depends on the current the circuit draws. P = watts, I = amperes(current) E = voltage, and R = resistance in Ohms. The following formulas work for DC and AC if the loads are resistance and not inductive or capacitance. P = I^2 R, and E=IR, so the 10 = 125I I = .o8 amps, and the resistance = E/I = 125/.08 = 1562.5 ohms. In a 17 volt circuit the current will be I = 17/1562.5 = 0.01088 amps, so the power consumed by the 10 watt bulb would be P=I^2R = ((0.01088)^2)(1562.5)=0.18496 watts in the 17 volt circuit. The brightness of the bulb would not be the same.

Lamps are not all equally efficient, but 10 watts is the same wherever it comes from. So, the light output for a given power input will not always be the same with different lamp types.

Notice, though, that if a 125 volt lamp is run on 17 volts, the power used will be a lot less than if it was run on 125 volts. This is because the lamp will draw a much smaller current on 17 volts than it would on 125 volts.

The actual current is a little hard to predict since the lamp filament will run cooler on 17 volts and so it will have a higher resistance than it does when it runs hot with 125 volts on it.

Power is just the product of voltage and current (for resistive loads like lamps) and it doesn't matter if the voltage is AC or DC.

I do not know if that answers my question, but put another way if you have two bulbs:

125 volt .0800 amp = 10 watt
12 volt .8333 amp = 10 watt

both of the bulbs are rated 10 watts one has higher volts and the other higher amps, but both bulbs should give the same amount of light and if you had to buy current from the power company you would pay the same amount for both bulbs would you not? This would work the same if you had two 10 watt heaters with different voltages they would both give the same amount of heat would they not?

John

Last edited:
John1397 said:
I do not know if that answers my question, but put another way if you have two bulbs:

125 volt .0800 amp = 10 watt
12 volt .8333 amp = 10 watt

both of the bulbs are rated 10 watts one has higher volts and the other higher amps, but both bulbs should give the same amount of light and if you had to buy current from the power company you would pay the same amount for both bulbs would you not?

John

You do not buy current from the power company...you by watts! P=IV.

If I understand your question correctly...hooking a 125 volt, 10 watt light to a 12 volt source will not give you .8333 amps at 10 watts.

The power is based off the resistance of the original light...V=IR.

ONce you find the resitance of your original light, you must now use V=IR again when hooking up to the 12 volt source. Do the math and you will see very low current and watts coming out of your light when hooked up to the 12 volt source.

P=IV does not determine V=IR.

Rather, V=IR determines your P=IV.

10 watt heaters will give the same heat...but again...V=IR must be determined first to get your watts correctly.

To make sure you got it...If I take your 125 volt light and hook it to three different sources...say 240 v, 120 v and 12 volt.
The three voltages all see the same Resistance. Each one will have it's own current based off of V=IR. Therefore, each one will put out different watts based off of P=IV after the current has been determined.

Last edited:
I agree with the last post, a simpler way to state this (not to take away from it)

Is this, a 60 watt lamp, is only 60 watts at rated voltage. The voltage, and resistance determine the current, not the wattage.

The voltage applied, and ultimately current drawn, yields the wattage.

A 60 watt, 120 volt lamp is only 60 watt at 120 volts, apply less than that, you will draw less current and receive less wattage

One more thing to john...P does equal IV in both AC and DC...just make sure when you are in RMS when doing your calculations in AC...not peak value of your sin wave.

Simply divide the peak value of your sin wave by the square root of 2 to find RMS.

The calculation is more complicated for non sin wave inputs, but for now this should suffice for you.

Also, when talking about AC phasors (vectors)...these vectors must always be expressed in RMS...otherwise they are not correct because a spinning vector must maintain a constant magnitude which is the case with RMS. (root mean square)

John1397 said:
I have a electrical supply line putting out DC current at .6 amps by 17 volts which equals 10.2 watts here is my question if I take a 125 volt AC bulb rated 10 watts will this be enough power to burn the bulb as bright as both the output watts on DC supply and bulb are rated the same at 10 watts?
If you want your 125VAC bulb to glow exactly as brightly on DC, then you must supply it with 125VDC.

I assume we are talking about ordinary (i.e., incandescent) bulbs.

If you know the AC - peak to peak (pk) voltage and current of a load R, the expression for Power in rms - DC is:

[itex]P_{rms} = V_{rms}*I_{rms} = \frac{V_{pk}}{2\sqrt{2}} * \frac{I_{pk}}{2\sqrt{2}} = \frac{V_{pk}^{2}}{8*R}[/itex]

A Watt is a Watt is a Watt. To work out the mean power when the voltage is varying, you have to add up the (I times V) 's for every instant of time (i.e. you need to integrate IV over time). If your AC waveform is sinusoidal then the 'root two' factor comes into the answer but, if the AC waveform is not a sinusoid (as with some cheapo inverters) there is no simple conversion factor. For a pure square wave (+/- about zero), aamof, the RMS (equivalent DC) voltage is exactly the same as the peak voltage.

What is the difference between AC and DC watts?

AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) are two types of electrical current. AC watts refer to the amount of power used in an AC circuit, while DC watts refer to the amount of power used in a DC circuit. AC current constantly changes direction, while DC current flows in one direction.

Why would I need to convert AC watts to DC watts?

In some situations, it may be necessary to convert AC watts to DC watts. For example, if you have a device that runs on DC power but is connected to an AC power source, you will need to convert the watts to ensure that the device receives the correct amount of power.

How do I convert AC watts to DC watts?

To convert AC watts to DC watts, you will need to use a simple formula: DC watts = AC watts x (Power Factor) x (Efficiency). The power factor is a number between 0 and 1 that represents the efficiency of the conversion process, and the efficiency is also a number between 0 and 1 that represents the efficiency of the device.

What is a power factor and how does it affect the conversion of AC watts to DC watts?

The power factor is a measure of how efficiently the AC power is being converted to DC power. A power factor of 1 means that all of the AC power is being converted to DC power with no losses. A power factor less than 1 means that there are some losses in the conversion process, and the higher the power factor, the more efficient the conversion will be.

Are there any tools or converters available to help with the conversion of AC watts to DC watts?

Yes, there are many online tools and converters available that can help with the conversion of AC watts to DC watts. These tools will allow you to enter the AC watts, power factor, and efficiency, and will calculate the corresponding DC watts for you. It is important to note that these tools are only as accurate as the information you provide, so be sure to have accurate values for the power factor and efficiency.