Can I Get a Job with Tattoos After a PhD?

• Thread starter Zoxi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job
In summary, most universities are tolerant of tattoos, but some may be more lenient than others. If you have any offensive tattoos, you may run into discrimination. It's best to keep them covered until you know for sure.
Zoxi
Hey, my question is that, could I get a job with these much tattoo after a Ph.D? I'm from hungary but I want to work in USA at any university, but I'm afraid of rejection, because of my tattoos. (this is not me on the picture)http://www.revolvermag.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/tumblr_lf19n2LL5n1qceqeso1_500.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
In my experience, academia tends to be rather liberal in terms of acceptable appearance, particularly when compared with the corporate world. Most departments are more interested in what you bring to the table academically (and in terms of outside funding) than your apprearance.

That said, I would expect to be completely free of appearance discrimination. From my understanding this is a measureable phenomenon even among people who claim not to have any conscious biases for such subtle things as weight.

If you have any tattoos that could be considered offensive that cannot be covered up I would expect to be at a disadvantage.

Universities do not ask you to send in a picture before they consider hiring you. By the time they find out you've got tattoos, you'd already be a finalist for the position (usually you don't get invited to the school unless you're in the top 3). Tattoos really won't matter unless you've got distracting, offensive, or multiple face tattoos. One of my co-workers, hired last year, has at least 4 visible tattoos, and she is well-respected at the school.

Ten or 15 years ago, significant tattoos may have been big deal. Now, it's more common. You never know how any particular individual may be affected, though.

Just my opinion: something like that could amplify any bad attitude, so be aware of that. Be on your best behavior, be very professional and courteous.

A friend's dad was a math professor at the top rated University of my country, he has a lot of piercings, tatoos, etc, and it seems like nobody cared. If you're unsecure, try to cover them, but it shouldn't be that big deal.

Thank you, my parents hate my tattoos, and always complained me, about my tattoos on my hand,but your replies showed me, the only thing I have to do with tattoos, is studying hard, and be a good scientist:) thanks

Rono said:
A friend's dad was a math professor at the top rated University of my country, he has a lot of piercings, tatoos, etc, and it seems like nobody cared. If you're unsecure, try to cover them, but it shouldn't be that big deal.

I don't think people really care, but if you're applying for a job, don't be surprised if they decline because of the tattoos.
So you either need to already have the job, or have to be so good that people choose to overlook it.
Afterwards, it won't matter all that much.

I have two full sleeves that I got when my only goal was to be a career military. There is no broad answer to this, Some people will just reject you for not looking professional. Others will require that they be covered up while at work, and some just don't care. Just use common sense, keep it covered up until you know the person won't judge you.

I have one, keep yours covered and you'll be fine. My co-workers saw mine when I moved positions and was appalled, but the group i worked for was about as conservative as they come.

I have another female co-worker who has multiple which show all the time, no one says a word about them.

1. Can having visible tattoos impact my chances of getting a job after obtaining a PhD?

The answer to this question depends on the industry and company you are applying to. While some employers may have strict policies against visible tattoos, others may be more accepting. It is important to research the company's culture and dress code before applying.

2. Will my tattoos be a barrier to my qualifications and skills being recognized during the job application process?

Tattoos should not affect your qualifications and skills being recognized during the job application process. Your academic achievements and experience should speak for themselves, and tattoos should not be a determining factor in your abilities.

3. Are there any industries or job roles where having visible tattoos may be more accepted?

Some industries, such as creative fields, may be more accepting of visible tattoos. However, this ultimately depends on the company's policies and culture. It is always best to research the company before applying to see if visible tattoos would be accepted.

4. Should I cover up my tattoos during job interviews?

If you are unsure about the company's policies on visible tattoos, it may be best to cover them up during job interviews. This will prevent any potential biases from influencing the interviewer's perception of you and allow your qualifications and skills to shine.

5. Is it appropriate to ask about a company's policies on visible tattoos during the job application process?

It is not uncommon for job applicants to ask about a company's dress code and policies during the job application process. It shows that you are taking the job seriously and want to ensure that you are a good fit for the company. If visible tattoos are important to you, it is perfectly appropriate to ask about the company's policies before accepting a job offer.