Free R-Module Basics: What is a Copy of R?

• Thread starter Artusartos
  • Start date
In summary: For instance, if we take two copies of R, then the product would be R x R, which can be thought of as the set of all ordered pairs (a,b) where a and b are elements of R. In summary, A free R-module is a left R-module that is isomorphic to a direct sum of copies of R, which can be thought of as a product of copies of R with a basis that resembles the elements of R. This can also be seen as a left R-module with a basis, making it a free module. The copies of R refer to the components of the direct sum or product, which can be thought of as ordered pairs or tuples of elements from R.
Artusartos
From my textbook:

A free R-module is "A left R-module F is called a free left R-module if F is isomorphic to a direct sum of copies of R..."

I know that another definition of an R-module a module with a basis...but I don't know how to connect that definition with this one. Also, what does "copies of R" mean?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[itex][/itex]
Artusartos said:
From my textbook:

A free R-module is "A left R-module F is called a free left R-module if F is isomorphic to a direct sum of copies of R..."

Can we think of it as
$$F\cong\prod_{\alpha\in J}R_\alpha$$
This is the underlying abelian group (analogous to vectors in vector space), and it looks like there is a natural way to multiply on the left by elements of R (analogous to scalars in a vector space).

I know that another definition of an R-module a module with a basis...but I don't know how to connect that definition with this one.

For F above, a basis could be elements like (1,0,...,0), (0,1,0,...,0) and so on. Notice each coordinate alone looks like R.

So that seems to suggest that a left R-module does indeed have a basis. Now let's consider if we think a left R-module with a basis is a free module. Uh, never mind, I'll leave that for someone else
Also, what does "copies of R" mean?

The product above consists of copies of R.

1. What is a copy of R?

A copy of R refers to a module that is isomorphic to the ring of real numbers, denoted as R. This means that the module has the same algebraic structure as the real numbers, including addition, multiplication, and scalar multiplication.

2. How is a copy of R different from the ring of real numbers?

While a copy of R has the same algebraic structure as the ring of real numbers, it is not necessarily equal to the ring of real numbers. This means that there may be slight differences in properties or characteristics between a copy of R and the ring of real numbers.

3. What is the significance of a copy of R in mathematics?

Copies of R are important in mathematics because they allow for the study of real numbers in a more abstract and general way. They also serve as a helpful tool in understanding other mathematical concepts, such as vector spaces and fields.

4. How is a copy of R used in science?

Copies of R have various applications in science, particularly in physics and engineering. They are used to model and understand real-world phenomena, such as electrical circuits and fluid dynamics. They also play a role in mathematical modeling and data analysis in scientific research.

5. Are there different types of copies of R?

Yes, there are various types of copies of R, including finite and infinite copies. Finite copies have a finite number of elements, while infinite copies have an infinite number of elements. Additionally, there are different structures and properties that can be applied to copies of R, depending on the specific application or context.