Physics Forums Wiki: Past & Professors

• Thread starter Snow-Leopard
  • Start date
In summary: Wikipedia also has more specific guidelines for notability of websites.All the entries in that list still have to pass Wikipedia's notability test. Every item currently on the list already has its own Wikipedia article.Looks like Wikipedia would have a hard time justifying its own existence if it didn't include PF.
Snow-Leopard
When my friend told about the site I firstly visit the Wikipedia.but Wikipedia don't contain any page about it. Can somebody tell me about this site, not the FAQs (I got it through PM). Its Past and also in Staff section is Mentors are Professors.

Physics news on Phys.org

Snow-Leopard said:
When my friend told about the site I firstly visit the Wikipedia.but Wikipedia don't contain any page about it. Can somebody tell me about this site, not the FAQs (I got it through PM). Its Past and also in Staff section is Mentors are Professors.

I'm a conflict of interest, so I can't make one for PF. However, I'd welcome someone else in creating one. Of course it must be historical and informational, rather than promotional. :smile:

Last edited:

Snow-Leopard said:

Here is some nice information about PF:
https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=83
https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=88
https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=92

I will be the LAST person here who would make a Wikipedia entry. I would be a hypocrite doing that after what I've said about my feelings toward it.

https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=4257

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always visit Wikipedia for General purpose as knowing about the Author,Scientific Societies, Movies etc. Wikipedia just want to expand his list of Titles they have lacks of Editors.

But here PF Library is also Good. Just add some photographs, Videos and at below Further Reading Book Name & Link of that book at PF Science Textbook Discussion.

Wikipedia pages about forums are problematic - usually, you don't find other sources discussing this forum, so the article (apart from very general data like url, number of posts and so on) would be original research. See the Wikipedia guidlines for notability. I think there are wikis for websites, where this is not an issue, but who would see an article there?

DrGreg said:
All the entries in that list still have to pass Wikipedia's notability test. Every item currently on the list already has its own Wikipedia article.
Not so sure about that. Some entries link to pages of companies that also happen to run a forum, but the notability comes from somewhere else. That's something we cannot rely on.
So has our website "received significant coverage in reliable sources that are independent of the subject"?
That is the important question.

DrGreg said:
All the entries in that list still have to pass Wikipedia's notability test. Every item currently on the list already has its own Wikipedia article.
Looking at some of those articles for the forums I don't see how PF wouldn't also fit in.

Greg I had posted a scientific article that cited PF a couple of years ago. can't remember what it was.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
DrGreg said:
So has our website "received significant coverage in reliable sources that are independent of the subject"?
Well to start PF has been referenced near 100 times in other wiki articles. 15 times on huffingtonpost.com. 4 times on Nasa.gov. 3 times on cnet.com, Once in nbcnews.com, usatoday.com, washingtonpost.com, theguardian.com and 165 times linked on .edu domains like stanford, mit, berkeley, columbia etc...

1. What is the purpose of the Physics Forums Wiki: Past & Professors?

The Physics Forums Wiki: Past & Professors is a collaborative project aimed at documenting the history and contributions of past and current professors in the field of physics. It serves as a resource for students and researchers to learn about the influential figures in the field and their contributions to the scientific community.

2. How can I contribute to the Physics Forums Wiki: Past & Professors?

Anyone can contribute to the Physics Forums Wiki: Past & Professors by creating or editing articles about past and current professors in the field of physics. You can also add references or additional information to existing articles. However, all contributions must be factual and verifiable.

3. Are there any guidelines for creating or editing articles on the Physics Forums Wiki: Past & Professors?

Yes, there are guidelines that must be followed when creating or editing articles on the Physics Forums Wiki: Past & Professors. These guidelines include using reliable sources, avoiding bias or personal opinions, and maintaining a neutral tone. The full guidelines can be found on the Physics Forums website.

4. How can I find specific information about a particular professor on the Physics Forums Wiki: Past & Professors?

You can use the search function on the Physics Forums website to find specific information about a particular professor. You can also browse through the list of professors or use the category tags to filter articles by topic or field of study.

5. Can I use information from the Physics Forums Wiki: Past & Professors for my research or academic work?

Yes, you can use information from the Physics Forums Wiki: Past & Professors for your research or academic work, as long as you properly cite the source. However, it is always best to verify the information with additional sources to ensure accuracy.