Setup for the saturn effects of Kristian Birkeland's experiments

In summary, the conversation centers around the topic of the "Saturn effect", which refers to the replication of experiments conducted by Kristian Birkeland using his terrella. The participants discuss sources and possible conditions for reproducing the effect, with one participant questioning the validity of the topic and asking for more information and sources. The original poster expresses interest in any knowledge or working setups related to the "Saturn effect". The conversation also includes a request for clarification and a reminder of forum rules.
motorman
Hi,

Has anyone in recent times reproduced the experiments of Kristian Birkeland, WRT to his Saturn effect using his terrella?

If so what were the conditions?

Adam

Physics news on Phys.org
Googling for this "Saturn effect" reveals only this thread. Do you have a source for this?

russ_watters said:
Googling for this "Saturn effect" reveals only this thread. Do you have a source for this?

You're lucky then... How did you avoid getting 93 bazillion results from the astrology/nutcase sites?

But googling for "saturn effect terrella" brought up some useful stuff starting with http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/mwg-internal/de5fs23hu73ds/progress?id=lvDA410z4w

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I searched "Kristian Birkeland saturn effect" (without the quotes). The first entry was this thread. The second was the wiki article on Birkeland and "saturn effect" does not appear anywhere in it. Adding quotes around "saturn effect" returns a bunch of links to this thread via phys.org.

i had submitted these question(other threads) to this forum hoping to get some sort of educated discussion and sanity some ideas. if you're happy with accepted ideas of science and tech, and afraid of sailing too close to the edge of the world, i politely ask you not add to this thread.

now, as for the subject of this thread, reading birkeland's report suggests that fitting a solid sphere with a solenoid to emulate a planet's mag field, then he applies a voltage difference across the sphere. he starts to see strange effects that simulate the Earth aurora and under different conditions, simulates saturns rings.

this kind of stuff is more familiar in the mhd comunity, but no-one has reproduced the effects.

i take it this effect is not well known, but if anyone has knowledge of a working setup I am interested in hearing about it.

motorman said:
i had submitted these question(other threads) to this forum hoping to get some sort of educated discussion and sanity some ideas.
That's nice. So does "the saturn effect" exist anywhere but in your head? Did you make it up? All I'm asking is for you to explain and source the topic of discussion so people know what the subject is about! You won't get any useful responses if people don't know what you are talking about!
if you're happy with accepted ideas of science and tech, and afraid of sailing too close to the edge of the world, i politely ask you not add to this thread.
I'm a moderator here. It is my job to ensure discussions follow forum rules.
reading birkeland's report
Do you have a link to a copy of this report?

Motorman, with all due respect, it is not your place to say who can and cannot participate here.

Also, I would encourage you to read the PF Rules on Overly Specualtive Posts. Soon.

1. What were the main goals of Kristian Birkeland's experiments?

The main goals of Kristian Birkeland's experiments were to understand the nature of the aurora borealis and to study the effects of solar activity on the Earth's magnetic field.

2. What setup did Birkeland use for his experiments?

Birkeland's experiments involved a large vacuum chamber, a magnetized sphere (representing the Earth), and an electron gun. The electron gun would simulate the solar wind, while the magnetized sphere would mimic the Earth's magnetic field. Birkeland also used different gases in the chamber to observe the effects on the simulated aurora.

3. What were the major findings of Birkeland's experiments?

Birkeland's experiments showed that the aurora borealis is caused by charged particles from the sun interacting with the Earth's magnetic field. He also discovered the existence of "magnetic storms," which are caused by changes in the solar wind and can disrupt communication systems on Earth.

4. How did Birkeland's experiments contribute to our understanding of space weather?

Birkeland's experiments were groundbreaking in their demonstration of the connection between solar activity and the Earth's magnetic field. This helped scientists better understand the effects of space weather on our planet, including its potential impact on communication systems, power grids, and satellites.

5. Are Birkeland's experiments still relevant today?

Yes, Birkeland's experiments are still relevant today as they laid the foundation for further research on the interactions between the sun and Earth's magnetic field. Scientists continue to study space weather and its potential effects on our technology and daily lives, and Birkeland's experiments played a crucial role in this ongoing research.