Register to reply

Polarised (polarized) light; EM explanation.

by Roodles01
Tags: explanation, light, polarised, polarized
Share this thread:
Roodles01
Apr18-13, 08:09 AM
P: 105
Facets of a rock specimen sparkle brightly
In terms of electromagnetism how can I show that a linearly polarised light source can be used to determine that the facets are dielectric rather than metallic?

Should have to do with scattering, but not sure whether it could be explained with a dispersion relation, phase speed of light, or . . . . . .

Is there a simple sketch I could produce to show how?

Help, please.
Thank youi
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Refocusing research into high-temperature superconductors
Neutron tomography technique reveals phase fractions of crystalline materials in 3-dimensions
Tiny magnets, huge fields: Nanoscale ferromagnetic electrodes create chemical equivalent of solid-state spin valve
Simon Bridge
Apr18-13, 07:08 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 12,487
What is the difference between EM wave interactions with a dielectric vs metal interface?
Roodles01
Apr19-13, 03:14 AM
P: 105
When an EM wave encounters a dielectric some of the wave is transmitted & some reflected, as with a metal, too.

When encountering a metal the normal part of the EM wave will absorb a small amount of energy, up to the skin depth, but a dielectric will allow the normal incidence of the wave through as a polarised wave whilst the rest will be reflected.

Hmm!
To me this sounds like if I use linearly polarised light normal to the surface of the facets then measure reflection then there would be less reflection from the dielectric than the metal.

Simon Bridge
Apr19-13, 04:06 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 12,487
Polarised (polarized) light; EM explanation.

... and you didn't need me after all :)

Register to reply