Expanding Universe: Mass or Space-Time?

• Thread starter Moore1879
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the cosmological principle of homogeneity and isotropy states that in a special frame of reference, the universe looks isotropic. According to the standard model of general relativity, as time progresses, the hyper-surface of events simultaneous with the observer expands. This means that the mass in the universe is becoming more spread out.
Moore1879
Okay, I understand that the universe is expanding. I also understand that in 1998 Cosmologist discovered that the Universe is accelerating rather than decelerating. My question is: "By expanding, do they mean that the mass in the universe is becoming more spread out, or is space time actually stretching out?" The idea that space-time itself is stretching out doesn't seem right to me. I'm just wondering.

Thank You

Space news on Phys.org
Space. not space-time is expanding with time within space-time. You have to foliate (slice) space-time into hyper-surfaces of space each separated by a time duration.

You need a special frame of reference to make that foliation and such is provided by the cosmological principle of homogeneity and isotropy.

In one special frame of reference, the one co-moving with the cosmological representative fluid, a homogeneous universe will look isotropic.

In the standard GR model, as time progresses, that hyper-surface of events 'simultanteous' with the observer, expands.

This means as you say,
the mass in the universe is becoming more spread out.

I hope this helps,

Garth

I suppose that in a hole, with a event horizon beeing constant (for a very long while), there is/was a kind of singularity which is expanding as far as we can observe (in our observable universe).
Starting at some time the singularity changed from radiation behaved to baryon behaved. In the mean time our hole is changing from a white hole into a black hole. In this hole, specialness from high to low, Blackhole are forming en clustering, entropy is going from low to high. Entropy will reach a value dictated by the Bekenstein-Hawking formula Sbh=A/4 . (Planck units 10^123). (see Penrose book "The road to reality"). That will not be the end of the story because black holes will evaporate in the spacetime of a multiverse. I suppose that in a multiverse a kind of concentrated radiation singularities will form serving as new bigbangs. (In such formation process entropy goes down). This way of thinking makes it possible for me see reality as a autonomous process without creation, begin or end. Of course this is pure speculation, but creation for me is even more speculative.

1. What is the expanding universe?

The expanding universe refers to the scientific theory that the universe is constantly growing and moving outward from a central point, known as the Big Bang. This expansion is driven by the force of dark energy, which is causing the space between galaxies to stretch.

2. Is the expansion of the universe due to an increase in mass?

No, the expansion of the universe is not caused by an increase in mass. In fact, it is the opposite - the expansion of the universe is causing the density of matter to decrease, as the space between particles is increasing.

3. How is the expansion of the universe measured?

The expansion of the universe is measured through a variety of methods, including observing the redshift of distant galaxies, studying the cosmic microwave background radiation, and using supernovae as standard candles. These methods all provide evidence for the expansion of the universe and help scientists to understand its rate and direction.

4. Does the expansion of the universe affect the concept of space-time?

Yes, the expansion of the universe has a significant impact on our understanding of space-time. As the universe expands, the fabric of space-time is also expanding, causing distances between objects to increase. This affects the way we perceive time and space, and is a key concept in understanding the expanding universe.

5. Can the expansion of the universe be reversed?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that the expansion of the universe can be reversed. In fact, it is predicted that the expansion will continue and may even accelerate in the future. However, there are ongoing studies and research being conducted to better understand the expansion of the universe and its potential outcomes.