Why was the forum sold to the Church of Scientology?

• Thread starter Silverbackman
  • Start date
In summary, the forum was sold to a religious organization founded on science fiction mythology. There are still a few loyal members, but the majority of the community is moving on.
Silverbackman
WTF? I don't get it! Why did the own sell a scientific forum to a religion founded on science fiction mythology? Why why why? It just doesn't make any sense!

Physics news on Phys.org
Because they made the best offer, and all the Mentors agreed that it was in the best interest of PF if we want to keep it alive. They promised that they will not interfere with the content.

Zz.

I heard the Baptists' offer was way too low.

i read the article and found it quite strange in some way. Maybe an april fools joke lol? i dunno...

Im really new to the forums so i don't know much about it yet, so i can't really give a proper reasoning why i think it would be sold.

danago said:
i read the article and found it quite strange in some way. Maybe an april fools joke lol? i dunno...

For people who may have missed the article, it was announced here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/cnn/cnn.htm"

Im really new to the forums so i don't know much about it yet, so i can't really give a proper reasoning why i think it would be sold.

Most members here are aware that Greg had to move PF to a cheaper server, and that this server has been giving us a lot of problems lately as evidenced by the frequent outtage. I suppose it is safe to say that all these cost cutting measures were a reflection of the financial straits that PF was in. We were getting to a point of having to completely shut down.

So this offer was extremely timely and allows PF to run... well... probably till eternity.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
ZapperZ said:
For people who may have missed the article, it was announced here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/cnn/cnn.htm"
Err, this has to be an April Fools Joke, right? :uhh:
As far as I notice, the article is hosted by physicsforums, instead of cnn. :tongue:, and none of the media files shown there works. :tongue2:

VietDao29 said:
Err, this has to be an April Fools Joke, right? :uhh:
As far as I notice, the article is hosted by physicsforums, instead of cnn. :tongue:, and none of the media files shown there works. :tongue2:

Maybe Greg copied only the html page without all the links and hosted it here.

Zz.

shhhh... let's prtend we don't know!:wink:
(good 1, Greg!)

Is greg anc chroot is stil going to be the Adim or is tom cruise going to replace them.:wink:

Silverbackman said:
WTF? I don't get it! Why did the own sell a scientific forum to a religion founded on science fiction mythology? Why why why? It just doesn't make any sense!

It seems that God told him to, in a dream. Then he told Greg to take the money and hide out in Mexico.

So what are you other Mentors doing with your cut? I booked tickets to Bermuda this morning. I leave in 2 weeks! :approve:

http://k41.pbase.com/u16/cp8800/large/39149696.Shoreline2.jpg

Tom Mattson said:
So what are you other Mentors doing with your cut? I booked tickets to Bermuda this morning. I leave in 2 weeks! :approve:

[/URL]

I'm going to move to Orlando and work as a Disney cast member for minimum wage.

Zz.

I'm moving to Canada and opening a wax museum.

Silverbackman said:

This is a great opportunity for Greg to meet some big celebs. I know I would have done the same thing. Now we can look forward to great discussions with movie stars about physics... accuracy will abound!

Thank you Greg, you've made a wise choice. Now the aliens might not freeze you and send you into space then bring you back and unthaw you so you can do whatever the ++++ that scientology religion thinks will happen.

I just hope that Greg has a chance to meet with Chef or Issac Hayes from South Park and put together some great songs, too.

:bugeye:

Tom Mattson said:

[/URL]
I haven't decided yet...can I go with you to Bermuda? That sounds like a good choice. :approve: I think I'll get a yacht and sail up to FL once in a while to see Zz at Disney too.

Money won't change me.

Ivan Seeking said:
I'm moving to Canada and opening a wax museum.

That's good cause Canada is made of wax.

Hurkyl said:
Money won't change me.
Oh, so you haven't decided yet either?

Silverbackman said:
All is not lost!
I’m convinced if we show some support like just click though on a few of the Associates Links on the bottom of the page we can see this thing turned around,
Maybe by the beginning of next week.

RandallB said:
All is not lost!
I’m convinced if we show some support like just click though on a few of the Associates Links on the bottom of the page we can see this thing turned around,
Maybe by the beginning of next week.
If we had more contributors, maybe Greg could afford a hosting service that wasn't down half the day without having to deal with the Scientologists. All is not lost yet!

Exquisite one-liners, such as:

They promised that they will not interfere with the content.

I heard the Baptists' offer was way too low.

It seems that God told him to, in a dream. Then he told Greg to take the money and hide out in Mexico.

(Horrible prospect though, even seasoned with wit.)

ZapperZ said:

Zz.
Work for dinsey and live in orlando?You should have more then enough money to buy Dinsey and live there.

WHy are hey seling a scientific forum to any religious group?

It's about time some respectability was brought to this place. I expect to see a new forum devoted exclusively to the discussion of Lord Hubbard's masterworks.

By the way, I love the spelling in that CNN feature; did Hypatia help write it? :tongue:

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Tom C and Greg at last nights party
http://i.imdb.com/mptv1.gif

http://i.imdb.com/mptv1.gif
[/URL]
Referral Denied...whatever that means...I can't see the picture is all I know.

Moonbear said:
Referral Denied...whatever that means...I can't see the picture is all I know.

Didn't work like it was supposed to. :frown:

Link fixed.

Well I for one, am over joyed at the sale..ooooh I wonder when Tom Cruise will start posting?

where could I find the announcement etc. that initaly said that PF was to be sold? </haha> (serious question).

scott1 said:
Work for dinsey and live in orlando?You should have more then enough money to buy Dinsey and live there.

Which is why I'm working for Disney at minimum wage. You'd think I can live with just that?

:)

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Maybe Greg copied only the html page without all the links and hosted it here.

Zz.

Did he have to get special permission to do that?

Greg sold it for $6 and two Mars bars

Do I get a refund on my premium membership? and where is Tom Cruise, I want to smack him for that War of the Worls !@#$