Can You Record Video and Audio Through USB? Free Software Options

• Thread starter peejake
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Usb Video
In summary, if you have a webcam that uses USB to connect to your computer, you can use some free software to capture video and audio. Depending on the specifics of your hardware, you may have to connect a microphone to your sound card and have it selected during a video capture. VirtualDub should be able to capture video and audio, and AMCap is a simpler video capture application.
peejake
hey guys,

Is it possible to record video from a video camera through USB getting in the sound as well...And if yes where can i get some free software from??

Thanks
Jake:smile:

Computer science news on Phys.org
Is your "video camera throught USB" a webcam? If so, then the company software should have something.

If your "video camera" is uses RCA or S-video connectors, you'll need a USB capture device... e.g. http://www.hauppauge.com/html/usb_data.htm

Depending on the specifics of your hardware (e.g. if your webcam does not have its own built-in microphone), you may have to connect a microphone to your sound card... and then have it selected during a video capture.

VirtualDub should be able to capture video and audio...then process it.
AMCap is a simpler video capture application.Google them... and google the make and model number of your specific hardware.

robphy said:
Is your "video camera throught USB" a webcam? If so, then the company software should have something.

If your "video camera" is uses RCA or S-video connectors, you'll need a USB capture device... e.g. http://www.hauppauge.com/html/usb_data.htm

Depending on the specifics of your hardware (e.g. if your webcam does not have its own built-in microphone), you may have to connect a microphone to your sound card... and then have it selected during a video capture.

VirtualDub should be able to capture video and audio...then process it.
AMCap is a simpler video capture application.

Google them... and google the make and model number of your specific hardware.

Hey Robphy,
Thanks for replying...My camera is a sony DCR-HC30E PAL...its basically a camcorder that can be used like a webcam as well...My camera has a built in microphone which can record 16 bit audio which i think is good enough for me right now...The problem is i have downloaded and tried the usb stream with one of the programs i discovered the other day and when i do this all i can see on the preview screen is a blue background and nothing else...This is when i have connected it through USB and set the camcorder to USB stream..Shoudn't i be able to record through USB stream directly to my hard-disk?? And why does the blue screen come without anything else??

Thanks

Robphy,

Thanks for your help mate i got it working yesterday after some experimenting...

:smile:

1. How do I record video through USB?

To record video through USB, you will need a USB video capture device and a computer. Connect the video source (such as a camera or VCR) to the capture device using the appropriate cables. Then, connect the capture device to your computer's USB port. Use video recording software on your computer to capture and save the video from the capture device.

2. Can I use any USB device to record video?

No, not all USB devices are capable of recording video. You will need a specialized USB video capture device that is designed specifically for capturing video from external sources. These devices often come with their own software for recording and editing video.

3. What is the quality of video recorded through USB?

The quality of video recorded through USB can vary depending on the capabilities of the video capture device and the source of the video. Some devices may be able to capture high-definition video, while others may only be able to capture standard definition. It is important to research and choose a video capture device that meets your quality needs.

4. Can I edit the video after recording it through USB?

Yes, the video can be edited after recording it through USB. The video capture software may have basic editing features, or you can transfer the recorded video to a video editing software for more advanced editing options.

5. How much storage space is needed to record video through USB?

The amount of storage space needed to record video through USB will depend on the length and quality of the video being recorded. Higher quality video will require more storage space. It is important to have enough available storage space on your computer or external hard drive to accommodate the video files.