Small drop in voltage change in power?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the voltage drop needed for a 60W light bulb to behave like a 50W bulb during a brownout. The relevant equation is P=V^2/R, where P represents power, V represents voltage, and R represents resistance. The speaker also mentions using P=(V-h)^2/R for small voltage drops, but realizes that this does not eliminate the variable h. The expert suggests using P_2 = V_2^2/R to find the ratio of V2 to V1, where P_2 represents the power for the 50W bulb and P_1 represents the power for the 60W bulb.
boderam
In a brownout the power company's voltage drops. Assuming the voltage drop is small, how would I figure out how much of a voltage drop it takes for a 60W light bulb to act like a 50W bulb? The relevant equation I am guessing would be P=V^2/R. I also know the resistance doesn't change. I tried P=(V-h)^2/R for small h, representing the power in a small voltage drop. thus P is approximately V-2Vh/R but I don't think this helps me any since I haven't eliminated h. What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
boderam said:
In a brownout the power company's voltage drops. Assuming the voltage drop is small, how would I figure out how much of a voltage drop it takes for a 60W light bulb to act like a 50W bulb? The relevant equation I am guessing would be P=V^2/R. I also know the resistance doesn't change. I tried P=(V-h)^2/R for small h, representing the power in a small voltage drop. thus P is approximately V-2Vh/R but I don't think this helps me any since I haven't eliminated h. What do you think?
Your idea is right. Use [itex]P_2 = V_2^2/R[/itex] where [itex]P_2 = 5P_1/6 =\frac{5}{6}V_1^2/R[/itex] and find the ratio of V2 to V1.

AM

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of power and voltage in an electrical circuit. Power (P) is equal to voltage (V) squared divided by resistance (R). This means that as voltage decreases, power also decreases. In the case of a brownout, where the voltage drops, the power supplied to the circuit decreases as well.

To figure out how much of a voltage drop it takes for a 60W light bulb to act like a 50W bulb, we can rearrange the power equation to solve for voltage. This gives us V=sqrt(P*R). Since we know the power (60W) and the resistance (which is constant), we can calculate the voltage needed for the 60W light bulb. Let's call this voltage V1.

Now, to find the voltage drop needed for the light bulb to act like a 50W bulb, we can use the same equation but with the power value of 50W. Let's call this voltage V2. The difference between V1 and V2 will give us the voltage drop needed for the light bulb to act like a 50W bulb.

In conclusion, the equation P=V^2/R is useful in understanding the relationship between power and voltage. By rearranging the equation and using the known values, we can calculate the voltage drop needed for a 60W light bulb to act like a 50W bulb in a brownout situation. However, it is important to note that this is a simplified approach and there may be other factors at play in a real-life scenario.

1. What causes a small drop in voltage change in power?

The most common cause of a small drop in voltage change in power is a decrease in the electrical resistance of the circuit. This can be due to factors such as aging components, loose connections, or increased demand on the circuit.

2. How can I measure a small drop in voltage change in power?

To measure a small drop in voltage change in power, you will need a multimeter or voltmeter. Connect the probes to the circuit and read the voltage measurement displayed on the device. Make sure to use the appropriate setting for the voltage range you are measuring.

3. Is a small drop in voltage change in power dangerous?

In most cases, a small drop in voltage change in power is not dangerous. However, if the drop is significant enough to cause a malfunction in an electrical device or create a safety hazard, it should be addressed promptly.

4. How can I prevent a small drop in voltage change in power?

To prevent a small drop in voltage change in power, it is important to regularly inspect and maintain your electrical system. Check for any loose connections, damaged wiring, or aging components. It is also important to ensure that your circuit is not overloaded and that you are using the correct voltage for your devices.

5. What should I do if I notice a small drop in voltage change in power?

If you notice a small drop in voltage change in power, you should first check for any obvious issues such as loose connections or damaged wiring. If you are unable to identify the cause, it is best to contact a licensed electrician to inspect and repair the issue. Do not attempt to fix electrical problems yourself unless you are qualified to do so.