Separating a higher-order ODE into 1st-order ODEs

• Thread starter Hawknc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode Odes
In summary: However, we need to be careful in choosing the initial conditions for v and f, as they will affect the solution. Once we have obtained the values for f and v, we can then calculate the velocity profile using the relation u/U_\infty = f'(\eta). In summary, the question asks for the numerical solution of the Blasius boundary layer equation using MATLAB, which can be done by separating the equation into two first-order ODEs and solving them with appropriate initial conditions.
Hawknc
Normally I can do these, and I'm fairly familiar with the equations used here, but for the life of me I can't figure this one out. Here's the question:

The following equation is the known as Blasius boundary layer equation for the laminar flow over a flat
plate in similarity variables:

2f''' + ff'' = 0
[itex]\eta[/itex] = 0, f' = f = 0
[itex]\eta[/itex] --> inf, f' --> 1

where

[tex]\eta = \frac{y}{x} \sqrt{\frac{U_{\infty}x}{\nu}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{u}{U_\infty} = f'(\eta)[/tex]

This'll look familiar to anyone else who knows fluid mechanics, I'm sure. The question requires me to solve this numerically using MATLAB, which I think I can figure out, but the methods we use require a series of 1st order ODES. I can't figure out how to separate this and it's driving me craaaaazy. Every method I try doesn't fit with the given boundary values. I've tried rearranging everything given there but I can't figure it out. Anyone got any ideas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first step is to separate the equation into two first-order ODEs. We can do this by introducing a new variable, say v, which represents the derivative of f. Then we have:2f'' + fv' = 0v' + f' = 0with boundary conditions:\eta = 0, f' = f = 0\eta --> inf, f' --> 1We can then solve these equations numerically with MATLAB using a numerical integration method such as Euler's Method or Runge-Kutta.

What is a higher-order ODE?

A higher-order ODE is a type of mathematical equation that involves the derivative of a function with respect to a variable. It can be written in the form of y^(n)(x) = f(x), where y^(n) represents the nth derivative of y.

Why do we need to separate a higher-order ODE into 1st-order ODEs?

Separating a higher-order ODE into 1st-order ODEs allows us to solve the equation using numerical methods or computer algorithms. It also helps in understanding the behavior of the solution and identifying any errors in the initial conditions.

How do we separate a higher-order ODE into 1st-order ODEs?

This can be done by introducing new variables and converting the higher-order derivatives into a system of first-order derivatives. The number of new variables needed is equal to the order of the original ODE.

Can all higher-order ODEs be separated into 1st-order ODEs?

Yes, any higher-order ODE can be converted into a system of 1st-order ODEs. However, the process may become more complex for equations with non-constant coefficients or non-linear terms.

What are the advantages of using 1st-order ODEs over higher-order ODEs?

Solving 1st-order ODEs is often easier and requires less computation compared to higher-order ODEs. It also allows for a clearer understanding of the behavior of the solution and can be extended to more complex systems of equations.