Electrochemistry and Half Reactions

In summary, the question asks for the steps to balance a redox reaction, which involves adding or removing ions. The steps needed to balance this reaction are: 1. Fix the number of atoms on each side of the equation. In this case, the right side has 2 atoms and the left side has 5, so 2 is needed on the right. 2. Add or remove water to fix the number of atoms on each side. 3. Add or remove ions to fix the charge. 4. Fix the number of electrons by adding or removing atoms or ions.
enigmatic
The question:
Balance each of the following skeletal equations by using oxidation and reduction half reactions. All the reactions take place in acidic solution. Identify the oxidizing agent and reducing agent in each reaction.
a) Cl2 (g) + S2O32-(aq) --> Cl-(aq)+SO42-(aq)

My answer so far:
Half Reaction for chlorine: Cl2 + 2e- --> Cl-

This matched the back of the book

The problem:
The half reaction I wrote for S2O3 was completely different from what was in the back of the book.

The answer from the back of the book:
S2O32-(aq) + 5H2O(l) --> 2SO42-(aq) + 10H+(aq) + 8 e-

Would someone please walk me through how to come to this answer? I would very much appreciate it!

Thanks! ;D

Physics news on Phys.org
enigmatic said:
The question:
Balance each of the following skeletal equations by using oxidation and reduction half reactions. All the reactions take place in acidic solution. Identify the oxidizing agent and reducing agent in each reaction.
a) Cl2 (g) + S2O32-(aq) --> Cl-(aq)+SO42-(aq)

My answer so far:
Half Reaction for chlorine: Cl2 + 2e- --> Cl-

This matched the back of the book
That should really be 2Cl- on the right, but you got the basic idea right.

The problem:
The half reaction I wrote for S2O3 was completely different from what was in the back of the book.

The answer from the back of the book:
S2O32-(aq) + 5H2O(l) --> 2SO42-(aq) + 10H+(aq) + 8 e-

Would someone please walk me through how to come to this answer? I would very much appreciate it!

Thanks! ;D
Okay, this step is clearly a little more tricky than the first one.

You start with:

1. S2O32-(aq) + unknowns --> SO42-(aq) + unknowns

The first thing to recognize is that you want to fix the number of S atoms on the right (don't worry about O atoms as there's always H2O that can be used to fix that). 2 S atoms on the left, so you want 2 S atoms on the right.

2. S2O32-(aq) + unknowns --> 2SO42-(aq) + unknowns

Next, you fix the number of O atoms by adding H2O to the required side. In this case, we've got 3 O atoms on the left and 8 on the right. So we need 5 more on the left, and the way to do that is by adding 5 H2O to the left.

3. S2O32-(aq) + 5H2O(l) + unknowns --> 2SO42-(aq) + unknowns

Now you see that you've got 10 H atoms on the left and none on the right. You fix this by adding 10 H+ ions (you're allowed to do this, if the reaction takes place in acidic medium) to the right.

4. S2O32-(aq) + 5H2O(l) + unknowns --> 2SO42-(aq) + 10H+(aq) + unknowns

Now all elements are balanced, but the charge is not. On the left, you have -2. On the right you have -4 + 10 = +6. So you need to add 8 electrons on the right to balance the charge.

5. S2O32-(aq) + 5H2O(l) --> 2SO42-(aq) + 10H+(aq) + 8 e-

Now you've got both charge and chemical elements balanced, and you're done.

Thanks so much!

So you balance everything except hydrogen and oxygen,
balance oxygen by adding water to the other side,
balance hydrogen by adding hydrogen ions to the other side,
and balance charge by adding electrons on the side that needs it?

Would you say that those would be the proper steps?

thanks! (and thanks for the link, too!)

Balanced?

I don't think it is balanced yet...

Last edited:

1. What is electrochemistry?

Electrochemistry is the study of the chemical reactions that occur at the interface between an electrode and an electrolyte solution, utilizing electricity to drive chemical reactions.

2. What are half reactions in electrochemistry?

Half reactions are the individual oxidation or reduction reactions that occur at the anode and cathode in an electrochemical cell. They involve the transfer of electrons between species.

3. How are half reactions balanced?

Half reactions are balanced by ensuring that the number of atoms of each element and the overall charge are equal on both sides of the reaction. This is done by adding appropriate coefficients and balancing the charges with electrons.

4. What are the applications of electrochemistry?

Electrochemistry has a wide range of applications, including batteries, fuel cells, corrosion prevention, and metal refining. It is also used in analytical techniques such as potentiometry and amperometry.

5. What is the Nernst equation?

The Nernst equation is a mathematical expression that relates the equilibrium potential of an electrochemical cell to the concentrations of the species involved in the cell reaction. It is often used to calculate the cell potential under non-standard conditions.