How Many Molecules from Julius Ceasar's Last Breath Are in Your Latest Breath?

• Thread starter drchurch
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involved a student seeking help with an order of magnitude estimate of the number of molecules from Julius Caesar's last breath that were also present in their latest breath. They discussed using the Boltzmann equation and pressure equations, as well as considering the volume of air in the Earth and the fact that most air is nitrogen. They eventually arrived at an estimate of 1 molecule.
drchurch
julius ceasar's last breath...

hey everyone, hope all is good. not with me, having trouble with a non assessed example in uni, any ideas anyone? :!)

Homework Statement

make a fully reasoned order of magnitude estimate of the number of molecules from julius ceasar's last breath which were also present in your latest breath.

Homework Equations

boltzmann equation. pressure equations

The Attempt at a Solution

molecules in 1 breath, molecules in world, different pressures at different heights, intergrate pressure.

pretty stuck here would appreiciate any help!

cheers all :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
This is an order of magnitude estimate. Keep your model as simple as possible. I would base it only on the the first two numbers in your attempt.

do i not need to take into account the change in pressure in the Earth's atmosphere? simply ratioing the number of molecules in a breath of air to the number in the world seems a bit simple for ten marks?

cheers

How are you thinking change in pressure would matter?

I had a similar question about king arthurs cup and the water in it and the molecules of it going around in my body etc etc. what you have to do is estimate the volume of air in the Earth - forget about the fact that air thins with altitude, just improvise. then just use the fact that most air is nitrogen, so stick with calculating the number of nitrogen molecules in the world. you can look up how much volume on breath of air takes - its about half a litre. Then I'm sure i don't need to tell you the rest? ;) if it works out I am guessing there are roughly 10 molecules in your breath of caesers last breath - only a guess though

cheers vengeance, got it in the end, final equation something like 10E22/10E22 so 1 molecule, thanks for the advice tho dude

What is "Julius Caesar's last breath"?

"Julius Caesar's last breath" refers to the concept that the air molecules we breathe in today may contain some of the same molecules that were once part of Julius Caesar's last breath before he died.

Is there any scientific evidence to support this concept?

While there is no direct evidence that the air molecules we breathe have a direct connection to Julius Caesar, it is possible that some of the same molecules from his last breath are still present in the Earth's atmosphere today.

How is this concept scientifically possible?

When we exhale, we release carbon dioxide and water vapor into the air. These molecules can stay in the atmosphere for a long time before being recycled into new molecules. It is possible that some of the molecules from Caesar's last breath have been recycled and are still present in the air we breathe today.

Can this concept be proven?

As a scientist, it is important to have concrete evidence to support any concept. While there is no direct way to prove that we are breathing in molecules from Julius Caesar's last breath, the scientific principles behind this concept are sound and plausible.

What can we learn from this concept?

This concept serves as a reminder of the interconnectedness of our world and the long-lasting effects of our actions. It also highlights the importance of preserving and protecting our environment for future generations.