Why the proof of Heine-Borel theorem doesn't work for open sets.

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of Heine-Borel theorem for open subsets and how the "creeping along" proof does not work. The mistake lies in the assumption that the set A is non-empty, which can be disproved with a counter-example. The conversation also mentions the possibility of finding a counter-example for the theorem in the case of open sets.
asub
Hi all,

I am wondering why the "creeping along" proof of Heine-Borel theorem doesn't work for open subsets. I have adapted Spivak's proof in "Calculus on Manifolds" here, but I can't seem to find where I am wrong:

The theorem for open sets would be:
The open interval (a, b) is compact.

"Proof":

Let O be an open cover of (a,b).
Let A = {x : a <= x <=b and (a,x) is covered by some finite number of open sets in O}.
Then A is clearly bounded above by b.
We want to show that b \in A, which is done by proving that \alpha, the supremum of A, is in A and that \alpha = b.

Since O is a cover, \alpha \in U for some U in O. Then all points in some interval to the left of \alpha are also in U. Since \alpha is the least upper bound of A, there are x_i and x_j in this interval such that x_i, x_j \in A and x_i < x_j. Thus (a, x_j) is covered by some finite number of open sets of O, while (x_i, \alpha) is covered by the single set U. Hence (a,\alpha) is covered by a finite number of open sets of O, and \alpha \in A.

Now, suppose instead that \alpha < b. Then there is a point y between \alpha and b such that (\alpha, y) is a subset of U. Since \alpha \in A, the interval (a, \alpha) is covered by finitely many open sets of O, while (\alpha, y) is covered by U. Hence y \in A, contradicting the fact that \alpha is an upper bound of A.

I would be grateful to anyone who finds mistakes in the above paragraphs.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't invoke the least upper bound of A unless A is nonempty. Unfortunately, you cannot prove A is never empty, since this is not the case. A simple counter-example will suffice to show that.

Last edited:
the clim that alpha is in A is not valid, because O is not a cover of [a,b], but only of (a,b). but perhaps you mean, if alpha is not b then alpha is in (a,b), so in some U. this is not a mistake, merely a fillable gap.

moo of doom has pinpointed the fatal error. for the open cover (1/n,1) of (0,1) , the set A is empty.

Let A = {x : a <= x <=b and (a,x) is covered by some finite number of open sets in O}.
Then A is clearly bounded above by b.

At this point the normal proof will assert "and the set A is non-empty" by exhibiting the element "a", but it does not make sense that [/itex] a\in A[/itex] in your case.

Also, you can easily find a counter example to the theorem in the case of open sets. Consider the open cover of (0,1) given by all open intervals of the form (1/n , 1). This is an open cover because e > 0 => there exist n such that 1/n < e.

Now, suppose A is a finite subset of this open cover, then there is a largest N such that (1/N , 1) is in A. Then (0 , 1/N) does not interesect any of the elements of A, and so A is not a cover of (0,1).

1. What is the Heine-Borel theorem?

The Heine-Borel theorem is a fundamental theorem in mathematical analysis that states a subset of Euclidean space is compact if and only if it is closed and bounded.

2. Is the Heine-Borel theorem applicable to open sets?

No, the Heine-Borel theorem only applies to closed sets. It does not hold for open sets.

3. Why doesn't the proof of the Heine-Borel theorem work for open sets?

The proof of the Heine-Borel theorem relies on the concept of nested intervals, which is not applicable to open sets. Open sets do not contain their boundary points, making it impossible to create nested intervals within them.

4. Can the Heine-Borel theorem be modified to work for open sets?

Yes, there are variations of the Heine-Borel theorem that take into account open sets, such as the open cover definition of compactness. However, these variations are not equivalent to the original Heine-Borel theorem.

5. Are there any other theorems that can be used to prove the compactness of open sets?

Yes, there are other theorems that can be used to prove the compactness of open sets, such as the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem and the Tychonoff theorem. These theorems have different assumptions and proofs compared to the Heine-Borel theorem.