What chemicals are restricted on The Physics Forum and why?

• Thread starter chemisttree
  • Start date
In summary, the Physics Forum strictly prohibits any explicit "how to" discussions of illegal and/or dangerous activities, including but not limited to making explosives, manufacturing crack, stealing software, and hacking into the CIA. This includes discussions dealing with the isolation, purification, and use of chemicals listed as List I or controlled substances, and home experimentation with these chemicals is also prohibited. Discussions related to uncontrolled chemicals listed as List II or those associated with the manufacture of controlled substances will be closely monitored by forum staff. Additionally, any chemicals listed in the USDOJ and DEA bulletins or determined to have potential for abuse by the US government are subject to regulation and are prohibited from discussion on the forum.
chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Illegal/Dangerous Activities:
Explicit "how to" discussions of illegal and/or dangerous activities, or posts advocating such activities, are prohibited; such as: how to make explosives, manufacture crack, steal software, hack into the CIA, ...

The Physics Forum’s guidelines regarding “Illegal/Dangerous Activities” includes
any discussion dealing with the isolation, purification and use of chemicals listed as List I by 21 CFR 1310.02 or controlled substances of any schedule (21 CFR 1308.11-15). Discussions dealing with the isolation, purification and use of uncontrolled chemicals listed as List II by 21 CFR 1310.02 or uncontrolled chemicals which have been associated with the illegal manufacture of controlled substances are allowed but will be closely scrutinized by PF staff. Examples of uncontrolled chemicals that meet these criteria include ammonia, acetone, potassium or sodium permanganate, lithium metal, sodium metal, potassium metal and sodium or potassium hydroxide. A complete list of List I and List II chemicals as defined in 21 CFR 1310.02 can be found at the bottom of this message.

Discussions regarding home experimentation to isolate or purify List I chemicals and those chemicals associated with the manufacture of controlled substances and reactive ingredients in pyrotechnic mixtures is defined as a ‘dangerous activity’ in this Forum and is prohibited. The discussion of home experimentation to isolate and purify Level II chemicals will be closely monitored by PF staff and may be locked or deleted for the reasons given above.

List I Chemicals (21 CFR 1310.02)
An-thranilic acid, its esters, and its salts, ben-zyl cyanide, ) ephe-drine, its salts, optical isomers, and salts of optical isomers, erg-onovine and its salts, erg-otamine and its salts, N-acet-ylant-hranilic acid, its esters, and its salts, nor-pseu-doephe-drine, its salts, optical isomers, and salts of optical isomers, phen-ylac-etic acid, its esters, and its salts, phen-ylpro-panol-amine, its salts, optical isomers, and salts of optical isomers, pip-eri-dine and its salts, pseu-doephe-drine, its salts, optical isomers, and salts of optical isomers, 3,4-methyl-enedi-oxyphenyl-2-prop-anone, me-thyla-mine and its salts, eth-yla-mine and its salts, pro-pion-ic anhydride, iso-saf-role, saf-role, pip-ero-nal, N-methyl-ephe-drine, its salts, optical isomers, and salts of optical isomers (N-methyl-ephe-drine), N-methyl-pseu-doephe-drine, its salts, optical isomers, and salts of optical isomers, hyd-riodic acid, benz-alde-hyde, nitroethane, ) gamma-buty-rol-actone (other names include: G-B-L; dihydro-2 (3H)-fur-anone; 1,2-buta-nolide; 1,4-buta-nolide; 4-hydro-xybuta-noic acid lac-tone; gamma-hydro-xyb-utyric acid lac-tone), red pho-spho-rus, white pho-spho-rus (other names: yellow pho-spho-rus), hypo-pho-spho-rous acid and its salts (including ammonium hyp-opho-sph-ite, calcium hyp-opho-sph-ite, iron hyp-opho-sph-ite, potassium hyp-opho-sph-ite, manganese hyp-opho-sph-ite, magnesium hyp-opho-sph-ite, sodium hyp-opho-sph-ite, N-phe-nethyl-4-pip-eri-done (N-P-P), iodine.

List II Chemicals (21 CFR 1310.02)
acetic anhydride, acetone, benzyl chloride, ethyl ether, potassium and sodium permanganate, 2-butanone (or methyl ethyl ketone or MEK), toluene, hydrochloric acid (including anhydrous hydrogen chloride), sulfuric acid, ) methyl isobutyl ketone (MIBK).

Controlled Substances and Analogues (21 CFR 1300-1308 and 21 CFR 1308.11-15)
Chemicals Listed in USDOJ and DEA Bulletins
(https://www.justice.gov/archive/ndic/)

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes varto
Engineering news on Phys.org
Any chemical which the US Government has determined to have potential for abuse and is subject to regulation, including all substances listed on Schedules I-V of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 812).

Other chemicals associated with the manufacture of controlled substances not listed in List I or List II.

The restriction on these chemicals is due to their potential for misuse and harm to individuals and society. These chemicals can be used to create illegal substances, such as explosives or drugs, and discussing their isolation, purification, and use could potentially aid individuals in carrying out dangerous and illegal activities. Therefore, to ensure the safety and well-being of our members and the wider community, the Physics Forum prohibits discussions involving these chemicals. Violation of these guidelines may result in a warning or suspension from the forum. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation in keeping our community safe and respectful.