Relative speed of tachyons greater than c?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem about tachyons and their relative velocity. The question asks how it is possible for tachyons to have a relative velocity greater than the speed of light. The speaker provides a link to the theorem of adding velocities in theory of special relativity and mentions that the tachyon must be received before it is emitted. There is also a mention of the Polish Physics Olympiad and a request not to share the solution until a certain date. The conversation ends with a discussion about tasks for the Physics Olympiad and the definition of tachyons.
menager31
I found some interesting task about tachyons:

"Spaceship A sends to spaceship B ( distance between A and B is known)
a tachyon, when B recives signal, it sends back it immediately. B
flies away from A with velocity v, and the tachyon moves away with the
relative velocity V from the spaceship tachyon was sent. What is the
duration between sending and receiving tachyon by spaceship A on his
own clock? V>c, v
I've got problem - how relative velocity can be greater than c?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
tachyons is as much as I know, a hypothetical particle that is supposed to travel faster than light. I do not understand quite really what the question is..

we must count the time
but I think that the time is zero

I'm pretty sure that the point of the question is intended to demonstrate that the tachyon has to be received before it is emitted.

But as written the question is a bit ambiguous, to make the question unambiguous, some frame specifications have to be made.

The assumptions I made were that the tachyon had some V>c as measured in the frame of the emitter. To make things simple, I made V infinite, and drew a space-time diagram. The emitted signal from spaceship A then was along a "line of simultaneity", a horizontal line. The return signal from spaceship B was than along a line of simultaneity of the emitting spaceship, i.e. of spaceship B.

Drawing a space-time diagram of this situation, we can see in this case that the tachyon must be received before it was emitted.

I'm not very advanced. But how to count the time? And why tachyon must be received before it was emitted ? We do not know his history!

menager31 said:
But how to count the time?
Just as usual, e.g. in accordance with The train-and-platform thought experiment.
And why tachyon must be received before it was emitted ? We do not know his history!
That's because its history is in the future.

Caveat emptor: I am not a physicist.

Last edited:
Is this question taken from Polish Physics Olympiad? Because I can find there very similar one :).
There is a hint that you should use laws of adding velocities just like it was a normal less-than-c speed.

Do you understand what a tachyon is? Of course, the velocity of a tachyon, relative to a spaceship (a tardyon) must be greater than c!

Firstly, I perfectly understand what does the tachyon mean. I won't put the solution of this problem here till Tuesday, because till Monday we have to send the solutions of problems to the organisers of Polish Physics Olympiad.

Secondly, what do you think about tasks which we havo to solve to be accepted to participate Polish Physics Olympiad and Polish Mathematics Olympiad? I think you should be able to tell something about those tasks, as about 90% of threads of menager31 are questions about solutions to those tasks.

Good, I'm glad you know about what "tachyon" means. I guess my question now is, why in the world did you ask "how relative velocity can be greater than c?" That's pretty much the DEFINITION of tachyon isn't it?

As I see we have a kind of misunderstanding - I didn't ask this question...

1. What are tachyons and how are they related to the speed of light?

Tachyons are hypothetical particles that are theorized to travel faster than the speed of light. They are related to the speed of light because they are believed to travel at speeds greater than the speed of light, which is a fundamental limit in our universe.

2. Is the speed of tachyons greater than the speed of light?

According to current theories, yes, the speed of tachyons is believed to be greater than the speed of light. However, there is no definitive proof of the existence of tachyons, and they remain a topic of speculation and study in the scientific community.

3. Can tachyons travel through space and time?

Yes, it is theorized that tachyons have the ability to travel through both space and time, as they are not bound by the laws of relativity that limit the speed of light. This means that tachyons could potentially travel backwards in time.

4. What would be the implications if tachyons were proven to exist and travel faster than the speed of light?

If tachyons were proven to exist and travel faster than the speed of light, it would challenge our current understanding of the laws of physics and the nature of the universe. It could also potentially open up possibilities for faster-than-light travel and communication.

5. How are scientists attempting to study and understand tachyons?

Since tachyons are currently just a theoretical concept, scientists are using mathematical models and theoretical physics to study and understand their properties and behaviors. Some experiments have also been conducted to try and detect the presence of tachyons, but so far, none have been successful.