Solving a Mass-Pulley System: m1 & m2

• Thread starter shell4987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a block of mass m1 and a second block of mass m2 connected by a cord over a frictionless pulley on an inclined plane. The question asks for the acceleration of the hanging block and the tension in the cord. The equations Fynet= T-m2g= m2a and Fxnet=m1g(sin)-T=m1a are used to solve the problem, but the result is incorrect. The conversation then discusses where the sin component came from and clarifies that it is to find the x-component of the triangle created by the free body diagram. The normal force only counteracts the force of gravity in this problem.
shell4987

Homework Statement

A block of mass m1 = 6.75 kg on a frictionless plane inclined at angle = 30.3° is connected by a cord over a massless, frictionless pulley to a second block of mass m2 = 2.07 kg hanging vertically (Fig. 5-54). (a) What is the acceleration of the hanging block (choose the positive direction up)? (b) What is the tension in the cord?

Homework Equations

Fynet= T-m2g= m2a aka T=m2g+m2a
Fxnet=m1g(sin)-T=m1a

when these two are put together it is, a=(m1g sin - m2g)/(m1+m2)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I used the equations above and first found acceleration to be -1.914m/s squared and then I used the acceleration and plugged it back into the problem to find T and I got it to be 16.32 N, these answers are wrong and I don't know what I did wrong. Can someone help me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
tabchouri said:
Can you tell where the (sin) came from ?

From the free body diagram... when you extend out the normal force and make a triangle with the force of gravity, the sin is to find the x-component of the triangle

shell4987 said:
From the free body diagram... when you extend out the normal force and make a triangle with the force of gravity, the sin is to find the x-component of the triangle

the normal force counter acts only the gravity ?

-----------------------------------------------------
Correct me if I am wrong.
http://ghazi.bousselmi.googlepages.com/présentation2

1. How do you determine the acceleration of a mass-pulley system?

The acceleration of a mass-pulley system can be determined by using the equation a = (m2-m1)/(m1+m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects connected by the pulley. This equation assumes that the pulley is massless and there is no friction in the system.

2. What is the purpose of solving a mass-pulley system?

Solving a mass-pulley system helps us understand the dynamics and behavior of objects connected by a pulley. It can also be used to calculate the forces and accelerations acting on the objects in the system.

3. How does the mass ratio affect the acceleration in a mass-pulley system?

The mass ratio, or the ratio of the masses of the objects connected by the pulley, affects the acceleration of the system. A larger mass ratio results in a smaller acceleration, while a smaller mass ratio results in a larger acceleration.

4. What are the assumptions made when solving a mass-pulley system?

When solving a mass-pulley system, we assume that the pulley is massless and there is no friction in the system. We also assume that the rope or string connecting the objects is inextensible and does not stretch or break.

5. What are the common methods used to solve a mass-pulley system?

The two most common methods used to solve a mass-pulley system are the Newton's laws of motion and the principles of work and energy. These methods involve setting up equations based on the forces and accelerations in the system and solving for the unknown variables.