Double integral into the polar form

In summary, the concept behind solving a problem in polar form involves using the substitution of x = rcos(phi) and y = rsin(phi) and taking into account the factor of r in the Jacobian. This is necessary for correctly integrating functions in polar coordinates.
nemesis24
hello i have this problem about polar form, i am aware that when you have a problem like [tex]\int\int[/tex] x^2 + y^2 dxdy you use r^2 = x^2 + y^2 but i what would you do if you had a problem like [tex]\int\int[/tex] xy dxdy?

thanks in advance.

edit: i know the limits if you need them please let me know but i was more interested in the concept behind it

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have,
[tex]\iint_R xy \ dA[/tex] then since [tex]x=r\cos \phi[/tex] and [tex]y = r\sin \phi[/tex] it means, [tex]xy = r^2 \sin \phi \cos \phi = \frac{1}{2} r^2 \sin (2\phi)[/tex].

so you would just integrate 1/2r^2sin(2(teta)

No you also have to remember the factor of [tex]r[/tex] whichs appears in the Jacobian.

That is, the "differential of area" in polar coordinates is [itex]r dr d\theta[/itex].

What is a double integral in polar form?

A double integral in polar form is a mathematical tool used to calculate the area of a two-dimensional region bounded by a polar curve. It is represented by ∫∫f(r,θ)rdrdθ, where f(r,θ) is the function being integrated and r and θ represent the polar coordinates.

What is the difference between a double integral in polar form and Cartesian form?

In a double integral in polar form, the region is bounded by polar curves, while in Cartesian form, the region is bounded by straight lines. Additionally, the limits of integration in polar form are in terms of r and θ, while in Cartesian form, they are in terms of x and y.

How do you convert a double integral in Cartesian form to polar form?

To convert a double integral in Cartesian form to polar form, you can use the following equations:

x = rcosθ

y = rsinθ

dxdy = rdrdθ

What is the purpose of using a double integral in polar form?

A double integral in polar form is used to calculate the area of a region bounded by a polar curve. It is also used in many applications, such as calculating moments of inertia and finding the center of mass of a polar object.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using a double integral in polar form?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using a double integral in polar form include forgetting to convert the function and limits of integration from Cartesian to polar form, and not accounting for the correct symmetry when setting up the integral.