How would i rearange A=2 pi r(r+h) to make h the subject?

• Thread starter madmike159
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pi
In summary, to make h the subject in the formula A=2 pi r(r+h), we need to distribute 2 pi r, subtract 2 pi r^2, and divide both sides by 2 pi r. Rearranging the formula to make h the subject allows us to express it in terms of other variables and is useful in solving problems. The constant 2 pi represents the circumference of a circle and is necessary for calculating the surface area of a cylinder. We can also rearrange the formula to make r or A the subject. Real-life applications of this formula include engineering, physics, and astronomy in calculating the surface area of cylindrical structures and celestial bodies.
madmike159
Gold Member
How would i rearange [itex]A=2\pi r(r+h)[/itex] to make h the subject?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
madmike159 said:
How would i rearange A=2[tex]\pi[/tex]r(r+h) to make h the subject?

do u mean to express it in terms of h??
then [tex]\ h=\frac{A-2^{pi}r^{2}}{2^{pi}r}[/tex]

I think it means the same thing. Thanks, I'm really bad at rearranging

well, next time try to show some work of yours first. Because the people here won't just give u the answer unless u have given some thought to the problem.

1. How do I rearrange the formula A=2 pi r(r+h) to make h the subject?

To make h the subject of this formula, we need to isolate it on one side of the equation. We can do this by first distributing 2 pi r to get A=2 pi r^2 + 2 pi r h. Then, we can subtract 2 pi r^2 from both sides to get A-2 pi r^2=2 pi r h. Finally, we can divide both sides by 2 pi r to get h=(A-2 pi r^2)/(2 pi r).

2. Why do we need to rearrange the formula to make h the subject?

Rearranging the formula allows us to express h in terms of the other variables in the equation. This can be useful in solving problems or finding the value of h when the other variables are known.

3. What is the purpose of the constant 2 pi in the formula A=2 pi r(r+h)?

The constant 2 pi represents the circumference of a circle, which is necessary when calculating the surface area of a cylinder. It is a mathematical constant that is often used in geometric formulas.

4. Can we rearrange the formula to make r or A the subject instead?

Yes, we can rearrange the formula to make r or A the subject by using similar algebraic methods. For example, to make r the subject, we can divide both sides by 2 pi(r+h) to get r=A/(2 pi(r+h)).

5. What are some real-life applications of this formula?

This formula is often used in various engineering fields, such as construction, architecture, and manufacturing. It is used to calculate the surface area of cylinders, which can be found in structures like pipes, tanks, and engines. It is also used in physics and astronomy to calculate the volume and surface area of celestial bodies that have a cylindrical shape, such as certain planets and moons.