Electrical or Computer Engineering: Which one is right for me?

In summary, the conversation discusses the choice between majoring in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering, given the individual's plans for the future in the tech/consulting and financial sectors. Both degrees have similar curricula with a few differences in focus, but the skills learned in both can be applicable to careers in banking and finance. Ultimately, the decision can be made based on personal interests and the possibility of switching majors in college.
collide
Next year I will be applying to colleges and I have narrowed my choice of majors down to the following:

1. Electrical Engineering
2. Computer Engineering

While both fields interest me, Computer Engineering worries me a bit as I found AP Computer Science AB to be difficult (was getting a C so I waived the class). My plans for the future include working at a tech/consulting company after undergrad for a few years. Then go and get an MBA and then either go back to consulting or enter the financial sector (Private Equity, Venture Capital, M&A). Which major would suit me best given my plans for the future? I realize that there is a lot of overlap between both fields and could switch majors while in college but was just wondering which would be most useful for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
The degrees are essentially the same. In fact, they're usually only different by two or three classes, towards the end of the curricula. There's no need to choose one over the other right now. If you like math and think fields and antennas sound fun, take EE. If you think computer programming is more fun, take CpE. Don't expect either to be much use to you in the financial sector.

- Warren

If your ultimate goal is to work in the financial sector, I think it may be better off majoring in accounting/business/finance and then working towards a MBA.

CE and EE at my school were pretty much the same. Except that computer engineering was more focused on computer design and architecture and EE was more focused on general electronics, like cell phones, etc.

Wouldn't the quantitative and analysis skills learned in EE/CompE be applicable to careers in banking? Particularly S&T which many banks recruit engineers at colleges for?

Also, another reason why I rather get a degree in engineering over a business related field is the job security and versatility it provides if I later decide to change career paths.

like chroot says, they're almost identical. At my school, CE requires a few more classes. I once had the same dilemma as you, but then i started doing research in robotics, which is incredibly multidiciplinary. I enjoyed the topic of embedded systems and thus went the CE route. You can just pick one and then switch later. Here are a few important differences.

1) if you do EE- you'll most likely miss algorithms, operating systems, topics in theoretical comp sci like automata theory, discrete math topics, maybe software engineering classes.

2) if you do CE- you'll might miss out on electromagnetics, photonics, and further topics in semiconductor physics.

EE is a bit more well rounded, while CE is more of a broad specialization of EE focusing on computing topics. If you're a devoted student, then surely you can take electives to cover any area missing from your field. I hope that helps

as indirectly associated from the finance sector as these fields are, id say go CE. Programming would probably be more useful there than knowledge of circuitry.

You can go to the financial industry with either degree. You will come out with great mathematical and analytic skills, as well as problem solving skills. I am an EE and I plan on doing the same as you (OP).

1. What is the difference between electrical engineering and computer engineering?

Electrical engineering focuses on the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism, while computer engineering combines elements of electrical engineering and computer science to design and develop computer systems and hardware.

2. Which field has better job prospects?

Both electrical engineering and computer engineering have strong job prospects, and it ultimately depends on your interests and skills. Both fields are growing in demand with the rise of technology and advancements in industries such as renewable energy, telecommunications, and computer hardware.

3. Which field has a higher salary?

In general, computer engineering tends to have a higher starting salary compared to electrical engineering. However, as you gain experience and specialize in a particular area, both fields have the potential for high salaries.

4. What skills are necessary for a career in electrical or computer engineering?

Some necessary skills for both fields include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, mathematical and technical proficiency, and an understanding of programming languages and software tools. Additionally, good communication and teamwork skills are important for working on complex projects.

5. Can I switch between electrical engineering and computer engineering in my career?

Yes, it is possible to switch between these fields in your career. Many skills and concepts are transferable between the two, and with continuous learning and adaptation to new technologies, you can transition between the two fields if desired.