What Causes Blue Stains in Bathtubs When Using Well Water?

• Thread starter W3pcq
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of well water that is high in iron content and causes the bath tub to stain a neon blue color, possibly due to copper pipes. While copper piping is the most likely cause, further testing is needed to confirm. However, if it is just from the pipes, there is no need for concern about any harmful substances in the water.
W3pcq
We use well water. I know it is high in iron content. The water stains the bath tub a sort of neon blue color. Not sure if it is only the hot water that does this. Does anyone know what might be in the water that would cause this. Could it have anything to do with the pipes "copper"?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Copper piping is one of the best guesses. Not an absolute certainty without further testing, but a very good guess.

If it is just from the copper pipes, then there shouldn't be any cause for alarm right. Is there anything that it could be which is harmful?

1. What causes water stains to turn the bath tub blue?

The blue color in water stains on a bath tub is caused by a chemical reaction between the minerals in the water and the metal or porcelain surface of the tub.

2. Can water stains in a bath tub be harmful to my health?

No, the blue color in water stains is usually harmless and does not pose any health risks. However, it may indicate the presence of mineral buildup and bacteria, which should be cleaned regularly.

3. How can I remove blue water stains from my bath tub?

To remove blue water stains, you can use a mixture of equal parts white vinegar and water. Apply the mixture to the stains and let it sit for a few minutes before scrubbing with a non-abrasive sponge. Rinse thoroughly with water.

4. Can using a water softener prevent blue water stains in my bath tub?

Yes, using a water softener can help prevent blue water stains in a bath tub. Water softeners remove minerals from the water, reducing the likelihood of mineral buildup and blue stains.

5. Are there any other methods to prevent blue water stains in a bath tub?

In addition to using a water softener, you can also try using a squeegee to remove excess water after each use. This will help prevent water from sitting on the surface of the tub and causing stains. Regularly cleaning and drying the tub can also prevent mineral buildup and stains.