Unsolicited Subscriptions: Am I Being Bombarded with Unwanted Emails?

• Thread starter Bystander
  • Start date
In summary, if you don't want to receive e-mails about threads you have subscribed to, you will need to unsubscribe from them.
Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
What's going on? I just got two e-mails notifying me of new posts in threads to which I had subscribed --- detail: I ain't subscribed to nuttin'. Anyone else having this happen to them?

Physics news on Phys.org
Go to your user control panel options page, and select "No email notification" from the "Default Thread Subscription Mode" pull-down menu.

- Warren

It happened to me too. You will also have to unsubscribe to the threads, that menu is also in the User CP. In there just push the button select all subscribed threads and toggle box unsubscribe.

wow! i had about 20 physics forums emails! my inbox has never been so full! i feel so loved...hehe

I got 12 emails. Yay.

25 :tongue:

I noticed last week that I was suddenly being subscribed to all threads I responded to, even though I had previously set no subscriptions as my default. Apparantly Greg had done some work and all defaults had been erased. I noticed in time to unsubscribe and avoided a deluge of e-mails. :biggrin:

Just go to edit options, Default Thread Subscription Mode: select "do not subscribe"

Last edited:
Yeah. I just noticed this, as well. My guess is that when they were adding the options for "Exclude usenet searches" etc, they reset everyone's options to the defaults.

-FZ+ currently running on the world's crappiest computer after a massive system crash. Thank you, Bill Gates.

FZ+ said:
FZ+ currently running on the world's crappiest computer after a massive system crash. Thank you, Bill Gates.

I am Rudy Guiliani. I command you to go to the dark side.

http://www.gentoo.org/

:cool:

Also, you will need to got to UCP, select “view all subscribed threads” and deselect any threads listed that you see there, otherwise you will continue to get e-mail notifications on these, even after you reset your subscription default to “do not subscribe”, that only stops you from auto subscribing going forward.

Poor FZ+, I feel your pain. :frown:

I'm frankly not quite sure how this happened, but it did not coincide with my adding the 'exclude usenet posts' feature. I noticed being subscribed to threads before I did that. The autosubscribe option is also actually stored in a completely different field in the database than are the other options, like 'exclude usenet posts'.

- Warren

It happened around the 12th? It's been at least a week, it happened with the change that also switched the e-mail notification to every two weeks. It wasn't your change chroot.

Last edited:
Ive noticed a lot of subscriptions as well, and I wasn't quite sure how to get rid of them. I wouldn't be suprised that with this reply it subscribes me up for this thread as well. At least now I know how to get rid of them (my e-mail is starting to get a little thick).

EDIT: Yup, it ironically subscribed me to this thread :smile:

Last edited:
motai,

Turn off your subscription option.

- Warren

You guys almost got me expelled. =\

I was only some 4,000,000 messages away from them coming to eat me alive, and at 22 a wee--er, nevermind.

cookiemonster

How? I dunno. When? "Yesterday." could we get rid of that and use real dates, please? Just two threads --- I've posted in both --- neither was recent --- no others came up as "subscribed" --- and nothing had messed with "autosubscribe = off" in my control panel.

I had visions that someone had hacked the forum and was specifically messing with my account --- it's more general than just me, and exhibiting all the quirks of a "feature."

Gotta love commercial software.

Hey Bystander, I checked and you had only posted to two threads since 4-10, so those would have been the only threads that you would have gotten subscribed to. Since the default for e-mail notification was re-set to every 2 weeks, all the e-mails accrued until yesterday.

I feel bad, I was going to post that I found that all the defaults had been reset last week, but I thought it was obvious because of the appearance of the checkmarks in the thread lists. :frown:

An attack of "CRS" on my part --- could have looked, too.

1. What are unsolicited subscriptions?

Unsolicited subscriptions are subscriptions to a service or product that are sent without the recipient's prior consent or request. They can be in the form of emails, newsletters, or physical mail.

2. How do I stop receiving unsolicited subscriptions?

The best way to stop receiving unsolicited subscriptions is to unsubscribe from the service or product. Most emails and newsletters have an unsubscribe link at the bottom, and physical mail usually includes instructions on how to opt-out.

3. Are unsolicited subscriptions legal?

It depends on the laws and regulations of the country or state. In some places, unsolicited subscriptions are considered spam and are illegal. However, in other places, they may be legal as long as there is an option to unsubscribe.

4. How did I get subscribed to a service I didn't sign up for?

There are several ways that you could have gotten subscribed to a service without your knowledge. It could be through a third-party website or app that shared your information, an accidental click on a pop-up or advertisement, or your email address being sold to a marketing list without your consent.

5. Can unsolicited subscriptions be harmful?

In most cases, unsolicited subscriptions are just a nuisance and can clutter your inbox or mailbox. However, they could potentially be harmful if they are scams or phishing attempts. It's important to be cautious and not provide personal information or click on any suspicious links in these subscriptions.