Waves: velocity, frequency, wavelength

In summary, if you create a standing wave in a bathtub with a frequency of 0.31 Hz, the water will rise first at one end and then at the other. Using the equations v = f * lambda and f = 1/T, we can find the velocity of the water wave. However, the frequency may represent the fundamental frequency and the bathtub length is half a wavelength, so further calculations may be needed to find the correct answer.
bleucat

Homework Statement

If you slosh the water back and forth in a bathtub at the correct frequency, the water rises first at one end and then at the other. Suppose you can make a standing wave in a 135 cm long tub with a frequency of 0.31 Hz. What is the velocity of the water wave?

Homework Equations

I know [tex] v = f \lambda [/tex] and that [tex] f = \frac{1}{T} [/tex], with [tex]v[/tex]=velocity, [tex]f[/tex]=frequency, [tex]\lambda[/tex]=wavelength, and [tex]T[/tex]=period.

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so this looked easy enough, right?
I converted 135 cm to 1.35 m and multiplied 1.35 x .31. This isn't the correct answer, however, and I am rather stymied. Am I missing something easy?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that the frequency represents the fundamental frequency, ie. the bathtub length is half a wavelength.

I would first like to commend you for attempting to solve this problem on your own and for recognizing the relevant equations. However, it seems like you may have made a small error in your calculation. The equation for velocity of a wave is v = f * lambda, not v = f * lambda. So, the correct calculation would be 1.35 m * 0.31 Hz = 0.4185 m/s. This is the velocity of the water wave in the given scenario.

Additionally, it is important to note that the velocity of a wave is dependent on the medium through which it is traveling. In this case, the velocity of the water wave is specific to the bathtub and may not be the same in other mediums. Furthermore, the frequency and wavelength of the wave are also affected by the medium. So, if the bathtub was filled with a different liquid or if the wave was traveling through a different medium altogether, the velocity, frequency, and wavelength would all be different. This is an important consideration in any study of waves. I hope this helps in your understanding of the problem.

What is wave velocity?

Wave velocity is the speed at which a wave travels through a medium. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or centimeters per second (cm/s).

What is the relationship between wave velocity, frequency, and wavelength?

The relationship between wave velocity, frequency, and wavelength is described by the equation v = λf, where v is wave velocity, λ is wavelength, and f is frequency. This means that as wave velocity increases, either frequency or wavelength must also increase to maintain the equation's balance.

How is wave velocity affected by the properties of the medium?

Wave velocity is affected by the properties of the medium through which the wave is traveling. These properties include density, elasticity, and temperature. In general, waves travel faster through denser, more elastic mediums, and slower through less dense, less elastic mediums.

What is the difference between transverse and longitudinal waves?

Transverse waves are characterized by the particles of the medium moving perpendicular to the direction of the wave, while longitudinal waves are characterized by the particles moving parallel to the direction of the wave. This results in different wave velocities, frequencies, and wavelengths for these two types of waves.

How does the frequency of a wave affect its energy?

The frequency of a wave is directly proportional to its energy. This means that as frequency increases, so does energy. This can be seen in everyday life, such as how higher frequency sound waves are perceived as louder than lower frequency sound waves.