How would this work on the moon? theory

In summary: I don't know how it would be effected if the hankerchief were closer or further from the person, but I would imagine it would be similar.
howsitwork
how would this work on the moon?? theory..

i already posted this in the astrophysics forum, but i know this is visited a lot more, and this isn't that advanced. it's also kind of time-sensitive, so i figured id post here in hopes someone stumbles along and knows how to explain it.. thanks..

basically I am thinking this, if you were in a complete vacuum, say, on the moon, and held down a rope from your hand, it would be mildly pulled toward the center of the moon, but if you were to move your hand parallel to the moon's surface (like from straight out in front of you, perpendicular to your chest, and moved it ninety degrees to straight in line with your shoulders), how would the rope follow? would it follow the same as on earth? would the 'delay' be the same. as in would the top (your hand) move first and fastest and would the rest of the rope follow as what happens here?? what about a flag, or hankerchief held spread out, and you moved it closer or farther from you, like a bull-fighter, what would that motion visibly look like? how would the lack of atmosphere and wind resistance effect it??

im more questioning the bull-fighter part. i know the flag would want to stay straight perpendicular to the moon due to gravity, but how would it's movement be effected considering there's no resistance from air, wind, or atmosphere?? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Howsitwork.
You're forgetting about inertia. Any flexible object will still follow the same basic initial pattern as it would on Earth, because the mass of the object will be reluctant to move. I can't tell you what exact pattern it will be, but I'm sure that someone else here can.

Howsitwork,

I think you pretty much covered it. Due to lack of atmospheric drag and less gravity, the lower part of the handkerchief should "drag-along" faster than it would on Earth. As Danger already mentioned, the inertia will still make it drag along rather than moving in sync with your hand (top portion of the handkerchief). I would assume that the lack of atmosphere plays the greatest role in making the difference here since you are talking about a loose material like handkerchief.

I believe that in one of the videos of a moon walk you can see a flag "waving" due the effect you are asking about. The top edge of the flag is supported by a stiff wire so it hangs as if there were a strong wind, the bottom edge of the flag waves as if it were being blown, but it is just the motion of the support causing the flag to move.

Yeah, that's a favourite target of the 'faked moon landing' conspiracy theorists. They can't understand why the flag was 'waving' without air.

1. How would gravity affect objects on the moon?

On the moon, the force of gravity is only about one-sixth of what it is on Earth. This means that objects will weigh less and fall more slowly on the moon compared to Earth. However, the laws of physics still apply and objects will still have the same mass regardless of their weight.

2. Can plants grow on the moon?

Yes, plants can grow on the moon as long as they have access to water and nutrients. The lack of atmosphere and extreme temperatures would pose a challenge, but with proper equipment and techniques, it is possible to grow plants on the moon.

3. How would the lack of atmosphere on the moon affect human exploration?

The lack of atmosphere on the moon means that there is no protection from harmful solar radiation and meteorites. This would require astronauts to wear specialized suits and take precautions when exploring the moon's surface.

4. How would the lunar environment affect technology and equipment?

The extreme temperatures, lack of atmosphere, and low gravity on the moon would require technology and equipment to be specifically designed and adapted for use on the moon. For example, electronics would need to be shielded from radiation and spacesuits would need to withstand both extreme hot and cold temperatures.

5. Can we harness energy on the moon?

Yes, there are various ways to harness energy on the moon, such as solar power and using resources like helium-3 for nuclear fusion. The lack of atmosphere and constant sunlight make the moon an ideal location for solar power, while the abundance of helium-3 can potentially provide a clean and efficient source of energy for future lunar settlements.