Can Acceleration be Both Positive and Negative Simultaneously?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the acceleration a and velocity v of a particle given the equation a = 1 + ln x. It is shown that v^2 = 2xlnx and the task is to prove that v is always greater than zero when t is greater than zero. The conversation also includes a mistake in the math and a suggested method for solving the differential equation. Ultimately, it is concluded that a must always be greater than zero and therefore v is also always greater than zero.
calculus_jy
given acceleration [tex]a = 1 + ln x[/tex]
i can find that [tex]\Delta v^2 = 2xlnx[/tex] and since it is given that when [tex]t = 0, x = 1,v = 0[/tex]
[tex]\therefore v^2 = 2xlnx[/tex]
however i have been asked to prove [tex]v > 0 \; when \;t > 0[/tex] and i have no idea how to explain it in mathematcial terms, can anyone please give any suggestion?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]a = \frac{dv}{dt} > 0[/tex] since 1+ ln x is greater than ...

I think your math is wrong calc_jy. Invoking work-energy theorem

[tex]v^2(x) - v^2(1) = 2\int_{1}^{x} a(s)ds \Rightarrow [/tex]

[tex]v^2(x) - 0 = 2\int_{1}^{x} (1+\ln s)ds \Rightarrow [/tex]

[tex]v^2 = 2(s + 1/s) |_{1}^{x} \Rightarrow [/tex]

[tex]v^2 = 2(x+1/x - 1 - 1) \Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]v^2 = 2(x + 1/x - 2)[/tex]

But anyway you don't want that expression, just do what Gib said.

The integral of ln(x) is not 1/x. You have that backwards.

why is [tex]a\geq0 [/tex] as lnx can range from -infinite to infinite and what working do i need to actually prove that v>0 as t>0

Last edited:
It seems to me that you want to solve this DE

I'm assuming that x is a function of t.

[tex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}=1+ln(x)[/tex]

For the life of me, I can't remember how to solve that. I'll look it up later.

DavidWhitbeck said:
I think your math is wrong calc_jy. Invoking work-energy theorem

[tex]v^2(x) - v^2(1) = 2\int_{1}^{x} a(s)ds \Rightarrow [/tex]

[tex]v^2(x) - 0 = 2\int_{1}^{x} (1+\ln s)ds \Rightarrow [/tex]

[tex]v^2 = 2(s + 1/s) |_{1}^{x} \Rightarrow [/tex]

[tex]v^2 = 2(x+1/x - 1 - 1) \Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]v^2 = 2(x + 1/x - 2)[/tex]

But anyway you don't want that expression, just do what Gib said.

I'm not too sure about that working, but I do know for sure v^2 = 2x log (x) . We can see it after seeing a = d/d(x) [ v^2/2] , and then integrating both sides.

calculus_jy said:
why is [tex]a\geq0 [/tex] as lnx can range from -infinite to infinite and what working do i need to actually prove that v>0 as t>0

Well, yes the function log x alone does have that range, but remember: v^2 = 2x log x. The quantity on the left side is positive. The quantity on the right hand side must also be positive. That means x must be greater than or equal to 1. Which means log x must be greater than zero, which means a = 1 + log x must also always be greater than 1.

a = dv/dt.

dv/dt is strictly positive. Also, t is a strictly positive quantity. Hence v is also > 0.

sennyk said:
The integral of ln(x) is not 1/x. You have that backwards.

My bad! That's a terrible mistake to make. Well in the bizarro world were all derivatives are antiderivatives and all functions are exponentials, I'd be fine... but as we live in the normal world my blunder was inexcusable.:blushing:

thanks !

Question 1: What is the difference between negative and positive in science?

Negative and positive are two opposing terms used to describe the presence or absence of certain characteristics or properties in a scientific context. In general, negative refers to the absence or lessening of something, while positive refers to the presence or increase of something.

Question 2: How are negative and positive charges related?

Negative and positive charges are related in that they are two types of electrical charges that interact with each other. Opposite charges (negative and positive) attract each other, while similar charges (negative and negative or positive and positive) repel each other. This is known as the law of electric charges.

Question 3: Can negative and positive be applied to emotions or thoughts?

In the scientific sense, negative and positive are typically used to describe physical phenomena or properties. While emotions and thoughts can also be described as negative or positive, these terms are more subjective and not typically used in the same way as they are in science.

Question 4: How do negative and positive feedback loops work?

Negative and positive feedback loops are mechanisms that control and maintain a certain state or condition in a system. In a negative feedback loop, the system responds to a change by moving in the opposite direction, while in a positive feedback loop, the system responds by amplifying the change.

Question 5: What are some examples of negative and positive in science?

Some examples of negative and positive in science include negative and positive ions, negative and positive charges, negative and positive feedback loops, and negative and positive correlations in data analysis. These terms can also be applied to various properties and processes, such as negative and positive pressure, negative and positive buoyancy, and negative and positive impacts on the environment.