Questions involving simple groups

• Thread starter cakesama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Groups
In summary, The conversation discusses two questions, one on proving a simple abelian group to be cyclic of prime order, and the other on proving that the order of a simple group divides k!/2 if it has a subgroup of index k>2. The conversation includes discussions on using LaGrange's theorem and the fact that infinite cyclic groups are allowed. It also suggests using subgroups of groups of order k! and the concept of group homomorphisms to solve these questions. The solution is not explicitly provided, but possible approaches are discussed.
cakesama
Hi, it's my first time posting in this forum, so I'm sorry if I have done anything against the forum rules and please point it out to me. Currently revising group theory for an exam in a week's time, and these two practise questions I couldn't finish, so if anyone can push me towards the right direction it'll be great.

Homework Statement

1. Prove that a simple abelian group G is cyclic of prime order.

2. Let G be a simple group and have a subgroup of index k > 2. Prove that |G| divides k!/2.

The attempt at a solution

Question 1
Suppose G is simple abelian, and consider an element x in G where x is not the identity element. Then since G is abelian, the cyclic group generated by x, <x> is normal in G, and this implies that G = <x>, so G is cyclic.

But now I'm not sure how to prove the fact that G is finite and has prime order...

Question 2
Suppose H is a subgroup of G, then by LaGrange |G| = |H||G:H| = |H|k. Also since k > 2, clearly k!/2 = k*(k-1)*(k-2)*...*3. So |G| divides k!/2 for any k > 2.

But I didn't even use the fact that G is simple, and this argument seems far too simple and I don't feel confident with the solution...

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first: Suppose it does not have prime order, then there is some d which divides |G|. Try to make a normal subgroup out of that (e.g. look at [itex]x^{|G|/d}[/itex]). If G is not finite, then x has infinite order and G is not cyclic. For example, G = (Z, +) with x = 1 is such a group. Why doesn't the theorem work there?

As for the second, I easily see that k divides k!/2, but you didn't make it quite clear why |H| divides (k-1)*(k-2)*...*3.

CompuChip said:
If G is not finite, then x has infinite order and G is not cyclic.

No, infinite cyclic groups are allowed. But clearly all infinite cyclic groups are isomorphic to the integers, and this is the only exceptional case to prove.

For 2, let's examine the evidence: I need to show that something has order dividing k!/2. Let's focus on the k! first. As you've invoked Lagrange's theorem, you should be happy seeing that this implies that you need to do something with subgroups of groups of order k!. WHat group has order k!? Now, is there anyway we can naturally get this group occurring in this question?

Another attempt using the hints:

Question 1
following on from my first post,
Now for a contradiction, suppose that G does not have a prime order p.

case1 : G finite, |G|=n
Then G=<x>, and there exists a d that divides |G|, so by the fundamental theorem of cyclic groups there is a cyclic subgroup of G, <[itex]x^{n/d}[/itex]>. And again G abelian implies that this subgroup is normal, so we have a proper normal subgroup of G. CONTRADICTION

case2 : G infinite,
G infinite cyclic so G is isomorphic to the integers under addition but the integers are not simple as 2Z is a nontrivial normal subgroup of the integers. So G is not infinite.

Therefore G is finite, and G has prime order.

Question 2

matt grime said:
For 2, let's examine the evidence: I need to show that something has order dividing k!/2. Let's focus on the k! first. As you've invoked Lagrange's theorem, you should be happy seeing that this implies that you need to do something with subgroups of groups of order k!. WHat group has order k!? Now, is there anyway we can naturally get this group occurring in this question?

Still not totally sure on this one...
The symmetric group of degree k has order k! and the alternating group of degree k has order k!/2. Am I supposed to utilize the fact that the alternating group of degree k is simple for k is greater than or equal to 5?

That the alternating group is simple isn't important: that the symmetric group is *not* simple is, and any simple subgroup of S_n must be a subgroup of A_n.

Now, follow what you're given: G is simple, if I can show G is isomorphic to a subgroup of A_n you're done. What do you know about group homomorphisms from a simple group to any group?

matt grime said:
Now, follow what you're given: G is simple, if I can show G is isomorphic to a subgroup of A_n you're done. What do you know about group homomorphisms from a simple group to any group?

I *think* I got it this time,

If we define a nontrivial homomorphism theta from G to A_k, then the kernel of theta must be trivial since G is simple, and theta is nontrivial. So then by the 1st isomorphism theorem, the mapping from G to G' (G' is the image of G under this mapping) is an isomorphism, and G' is a subgroup of A_k. Hence G is isomorphic to a subgroup of A_k, in particular they must have the same order. Therefore G divides the order of A_k.

What do you think?

cakesama said:
If we define a nontrivial homomorphism theta from G to A_k
The keyword in that sentence is "if". You haven't shown that there is such a homomorphism.

morphism said:
The keyword in that sentence is "if". You haven't shown that there is such a homomorphism.

I've been thinking about this all day and couldn't come up with a solution!

Also, I was working on some other questions as well and came to another problem that I couldn't finish because I couldn't explicitly define a homomorphism!

If I can define a homomorphism, then things will start to work... could someone please tell me if it is possible to always define a nontrivial homomorphism between two arbitrary groups? The only thing I can think of is Cayley's theorem which isn't going to be useful in this case... I searched books in the library and the internet and got nowhere :(

cakesama said:
If I can define a homomorphism, then things will start to work... could someone please tell me if it is possible to always define a nontrivial homomorphism between two arbitrary groups?

No it clearly is not possible to do. And you've already written the facts in this post which preclude that: let G be simple, and K arbitrary with |G| not dividing |K|. Then the only homomorphism from G to K is the trivial one.

Getting back to the question. What information have you not used? Ans: G has a subgroup of index k. You're attempting to realize G as a subgroup of the permutations of a set of order k. How are you going to get a set of order k from the information that G has a subgroup of index k?

1. What is a simple group?

A simple group is a type of mathematical group that does not have any nontrivial normal subgroups. This means that the only subgroups of a simple group are the trivial subgroup (containing only the identity element) and the group itself.

2. How are simple groups classified?

Simple groups can be classified into two main categories: finite simple groups and infinite simple groups. Finite simple groups are further divided into five types: cyclic, alternating, Lie-type, sporadic, and exceptional. Infinite simple groups are classified based on their properties and structure.

3. What are some real-life applications of simple groups?

Simple groups have various applications in cryptography, coding theory, and physics. In cryptography, simple groups are used to create secure encryption algorithms. In coding theory, simple groups are used to construct error-correcting codes. In physics, simple groups are used to describe symmetries in physical systems.

4. How are simple groups related to other areas of mathematics?

Simple groups have connections to many areas of mathematics, including abstract algebra, number theory, and geometry. They are also closely related to other types of groups, such as cyclic groups, symmetric groups, and matrix groups.

5. Are there any unsolved problems or conjectures involving simple groups?

Yes, there are several unsolved problems and conjectures involving simple groups. One famous example is the Classification of Finite Simple Groups (CFSG) theorem, which states that all finite simple groups can be classified into the five types mentioned earlier. Another open problem is the existence of an infinite series of simple groups known as the "Baby Monster" sporadic group.