Drug Dealers Stop Recording of Them With Remote from Street

• Thread starter skizit
  • Start date
In summary: This conversation is about remote controls. A remote control uses infrared or radio. If I have a TV VCR taping activity at the drug house, they have a remote control which they use to stop my recording every time I leave. I only get 30 minutes of tape instead of 8. However, if you are always only getting half an hour, you have either got very punctual drug dealers/users, or your camera might be shutting itself off.
skizit
My question is about remote controls. A remote control uses infrared or radio. If I have a TV VCR taping activity at the drug house, they have a remote control which they use to stop my recording every time I leave. I only get 30 minutes of tape instead of 8.

What do I need to do to protect my VCR from long range remote changes?

Put it in a metal box? On all sides, even the bottom? My question really is about what material will block infrared communication and/or radio frequency communication between electronic equipment. I'm trying to get the ghouls on tape climbing the fence or opening the door.

Any suggestions?

Computer science news on Phys.org
If you know anything about remotes, some need a direct line to communicate with electronic equipment. The signal can also be bounced off nearby objects to the equipment. Remotes can work up to 100 ft so if your house is offset from the street by 30 feet, then someone with the same remote you have in your hand or a universal remote can control your TV. There are remotes for lights, water sprinklers, fans and other things which use the same devices. You can go over and start your neighbor's water sprinklers if you have the same remote. Does that sound crazy?

I'm not rich so I can't afford high tech cameras so I just use my little TV VCR combos. These work great and record an 8 hour tape. If your neighbor doesn't want to be caught on camera spraying your yard with pesticide to kill all your grass, he knows that you are going to leave your camera and TV/VCR on recording what happens in your front yard. So, what does he want to do? He wants to stop your TV/VCR from recorder! How does he do that? He knows what brand your TV/VCR is, he gets a compatible remote and walks down the sidewalk, aims his remote at your house (infrared is not stopped by glass, sheetrock, 2 x 4's, etc.) and wallah, your recording stops and he goes ahead and sprays your yard with the pesticide of his choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's an infrared camera, you should be able to just tape a piece of tin foil over the IR window (cover the entire window, and then some--see if it works by pointing the remote directly at it, and seeing if you can turn it on/off). If it's a radio remote, a big metal box might work (you'd also need metal mesh over the window, and this'll still be the radio "leak" in your box), and might be a good idea just from a security point of view.

But, if you're always only getting half an hour, you've either got very punctual drug dealers/users, or your camera might be shutting itself off. If this is not the case, is the camera in plain view? You might try "giving up" and then moving it to a hidden location (if possible). Depending on the camcorder, you may also be able to turn off the remote feature, or the "auto off".

Due to another thread, we have solved the problem. WHOOHAHHH! sorry, I'm Texan

Thread closed then.

1. What is the purpose of recording drug dealers with a remote from the street?

The purpose of recording drug dealers with a remote from the street is to gather evidence of illegal activity and assist law enforcement in their investigations.

2. How does the remote recording work?

The remote recording works by using a device, such as a camera or smartphone, to capture video and audio of drug dealers from a safe distance on the street. This footage can then be used as evidence in court.

3. Are there any legal implications for recording drug dealers with a remote from the street?

In most cases, there are no legal implications for recording drug dealers from a public street. However, it is always best to check local laws and regulations before conducting any type of surveillance.

4. Can recording drug dealers with a remote from the street be dangerous?

Recording drug dealers with a remote from the street can be dangerous, as it may draw attention to the individual conducting the recording. It is important to prioritize personal safety and follow all laws and regulations when doing any type of surveillance.

5. Is it ethical to record drug dealers with a remote from the street?

The ethics of recording drug dealers with a remote from the street can be debated. Some may argue that it is necessary to help bring criminals to justice, while others may argue that it invades the privacy of the individuals being recorded. Ultimately, it is important to consider the potential consequences and follow ethical guidelines when conducting surveillance.