How to convert 5 volts to 12 volts for a USB Motor

In summary, a dc-dc converter (or boost converter) can be used to bridge the gap between 5 volts and 12 volts. Depending on what you're trying to do, I'd go forward with your USB idea with a suitable 5V motor, making sure that you're not going to exceed the relevant current limits. Parallel Ports are not designed to provide power, so you'll need to find a way to power the motor.
Summit07
Hi everyone,
What I am wondering is if there is a way to convert 5 volts to 12 volts. The application I will be using this for is a USB driven motor. The USB cable can only handle 5 volts and the motor is 12 volts. So I am wondering if there is a device or something simple to build that can bridge the gap between the voltages. Thank you for your advice!
Sincerely
Chris

Engineering news on Phys.org
Look up dc-dc converter (or boost converter)
But remember that USB can only supply 500mA and the converter will waste some power

Summit, your USB cable isn't limited by voltage, but by current.

...and therefore it is probably better to find a suitable 5V motor.

Thank you for the advice, much appreciated. Would the same apply if I replaced the USB cable with a Parallel port cable?

Yes the same would apply. The problem is nothing to do with the cable, but your understanding of electrics.

Depending on what you're trying to do (let us know!), I'd go forward with your USB idea with a suitable 5V motor, making sure that you're not going to exceed the relevant current limits.

Unlike USB, which has a designated power connection, Parallel Ports are not designed to provide any power.
Parallel Ports have only signal level outputs.

NoTime said:
Unlike USB, which has a designated power connection, Parallel Ports are not designed to provide any power.
Parallel Ports have only signal level outputs.
More information is required regarding the motor you are trying to drive. Simply describing it as a 12 volt motor is not sufficient. The kw rating, or horsepower rating, full load current rating is required to determine the power needed to run the motor. Can you describe the motor with more specificity?

I am thinking you may need a separate 12 volt power supply that allows for voltage driven input control.

Thank you again for the advice here are the technical specs of the motor.
HP: 1/10
RPM: 2300
Rotation: Reversible
Torque (oz-in): 40
Field Volts: 12
Diameter: 3in
Shaft Dimension (inches): 5/16 x 2

1/10 of a horsepower is 75W
At 12V that is 6.5A, USB can supply 5v at 500ma = 2.5W = 1/300 HP
I think you are slightly out of luck!

You could use a car battery to power the motor and a USB device to control a relay to turn it on/off.

I was crunching the numbers as well and came to that same conclusion. Back to the drawing board it seems...

1. How do I convert 5 volts to 12 volts for a USB motor?

There are several ways to convert 5 volts to 12 volts for a USB motor. One way is to use a voltage regulator, such as a LM7805 or LM317, to step up the voltage. Another way is to use a boost converter, which uses an inductor to store and release energy to increase the voltage. You can also use a transformer to convert the voltage, but this may be more complicated and require additional circuitry.

2. Can I use a USB adapter to convert 5 volts to 12 volts for a USB motor?

No, a USB adapter is not capable of converting voltage. USB adapters typically output 5 volts and are not designed for voltage conversion. You will need to use a voltage regulator or boost converter to achieve 12 volts for your USB motor.

3. What is the maximum current output for converting 5 volts to 12 volts for a USB motor?

The maximum current output will depend on the specific voltage regulator or boost converter you are using. Generally, these devices can handle currents up to 1-2 amps, but it is important to check the datasheet for your specific device to ensure it can handle the current required for your USB motor.

4. Can I use multiple voltage regulators to convert 5 volts to 12 volts for a USB motor?

Yes, you can use multiple voltage regulators in parallel to increase the current output. However, it is important to ensure that the voltage regulators are properly heat-sinked and that the total output current does not exceed the maximum current rating for each individual regulator.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when converting 5 volts to 12 volts for a USB motor?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety precautions when working with electricity and voltage conversion. Make sure to use insulated tools, work in a well-ventilated area, and double-check all connections before powering on the circuit. It is also a good idea to use a fuse or current-limiting resistor to prevent damage to your circuit in case of a short circuit or other unexpected events.