Determining whether three points lie on a straight line in three dimension

In summary, the conversation discusses determining whether the points A(2, 4, 2), B(3, 7, -2), and C(1, 3, 3) lie on a straight line in a three-dimensional coordinate system. The equation for a line in three dimensions is [x,y,z]=A+(B-A)*t, and this can be used to determine if all three points lie on the same line. By equating the components of the equation for x, y, and z, it can be determined if there is a value for t that satisfies all three points.
k1point618

Homework Statement

Determine whether the points lie on straight line
A(2, 4, 2) B(3, 7, -2) C(1, 3, 3)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've looked up at the equation for lines in three dimension, and it appears to be
x=x_0+at
y=y_0+bt
z=z_0+ct

i tried to take the x y z for A and B and try to solve for a, b, c. Then if the same a, b, c work for BC, then ABC is on a line. That is my thought, but i can't manage to do the first part. I don't know how to use the information given and the equations to start with...

Anyone please help me with this. This is my first time working with 3-dimensional coordinate system...

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't have to work all that hard to get the equation for the line. In vector form the equation is [x,y,z]=A+(B-A)*t. Do you see why that gives you [x,y,z]=A at t=0 and [x,y,z]=B at t=1?? Can you translate that into equations for x, y and z?

Dick said:
In vector form the equation is [x,y,z]=A+(B-A)*t. Do you see why that gives you [x,y,z]=A at t=0 and [x,y,z]=B at t=1??

This part i understand.
But I'm still not sure about how to translate that into equations for x, y and z.

B-A=[1,3,-4], right? So you have [x,y,z]=[2,4,2]+[1,3,-4]*t. I read off x=2+t. I just equated the first component of the two sides. What do you get for y and z?

i see...

so y= 4+3t and z=2-4t?
and from here, i can use the x, y, z equation for points BC to see if it's a line?

Nah, just see if C is on the line, you don't need another set of equations. If there is a t that solves all three, then it's on the line. If not, not.

Thank you very much. I've got it

1. What is the formula for determining if three points lie on a straight line in three dimensions?

The formula for determining if three points (x1,y1,z1), (x2,y2,z2), and (x3,y3,z3) lie on a straight line in three dimensions is:

(x2-x1)/(x3-x1) = (y2-y1)/(y3-y1) = (z2-z1)/(z3-z1)

2. Can three points that are not collinear still lie on a straight line in three dimensions?

No, three points that are not collinear cannot lie on a straight line in three dimensions. In order for three points to lie on a straight line, they must be collinear, meaning they lie on the same line.

3. What is the significance of determining if three points lie on a straight line in three dimensions?

Determining if three points lie on a straight line in three dimensions can help in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as calculating distances, determining the slope of a line, and analyzing the trajectory of objects in 3D space.

4. How can we visually determine if three points lie on a straight line in three dimensions?

One way to visually determine if three points lie on a straight line in three dimensions is to plot the points on a 3D graph and see if they all lie on the same line. Another way is to calculate the slope between each pair of points and see if they are all equal.

5. Can the formula for determining if three points lie on a straight line in three dimensions be extended to more than three points?

Yes, the formula can be extended to more than three points. In general, if n points (x1,y1,z1), (x2,y2,z2), ..., (xn,yn,zn) lie on a straight line, then the ratios of any two coordinates between any two points will be equal.