What is the derivation of the torque formula for a piston engine?

In summary, the author is trying to calculate the torque on the crankshaft as a function of the force on the piston, the crankshaft angle theta, the connecting rod length L, and the crank length R. He has run into some difficulty with the geometry and needs help to figure out the equation.
cjmdjm
I am working on programming a simulation/model of a piston engine (steam, gas, etc). I have run into some trouble with the geometry. I need to calculate the torque T on the crankshaft as a function of the force F on the piston, the crankshaft angle theta, the connecting rod length L, and the crank length R (which is equal to half the stroke length). I should have no trouble getting the force from the pressure difference across the piston, butting getting the torque from that is more difficult. Heres an image that should clarify:

http://web.mit.edu/~j_martin/www/pistonphysics.bmp

The thing is, I actually already found the answer online on page 4 (1118) of this document:

http://www.iop.org/EJ/article/0143-0807/26/6/020/ejp5_6_020.pdf?request-id=9d55429d-8fc3-428a-959e-33173d288def

But I am really curious how this formula is derived. I can't seem to prove that formula myself. I can get a formula for it, but it is messy and involves lots of arcsin and arctan etc. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
Well your second link doesn'twork for me so I can't see the equation the book gets. The mathematical description of the motion of a crank-rod-piston device is indeed a messy beast full of arc-functions. And it isn't symmetrical between top & bottom (like a sine function) because the motion as the big-end bearing goes over the top is different than as it comes around the bottom. Maybe the (simpler??) formula I can't see is an average over the power stroke, or something like that? The "standard" torque equations typically have terms like "BMEP" which is a kind of average cylinder pressure.

Ok, I attached the formula that they come up with in that document. I am just curious how it is derived, because it is somewhat simpler than the formulas I can come up with. Lol, in the document they say, "From simple geometry." I wouldn't really call it simple though.

Attachments

• torqueeqn.bmp
    90.1 KB · Views: 831

1. What is the purpose of a piston engine?

A piston engine converts the chemical energy of fuel into mechanical energy through a series of controlled explosions, which is then used to power a vehicle or machinery.

2. How does a piston engine work?

A piston engine works by drawing in air and fuel into the combustion chamber, compressing it, igniting it with a spark plug, and then using the expanding gases to push a piston down, converting the energy into mechanical motion.

3. What are the main components of a piston engine?

The main components of a piston engine include the piston, connecting rod, crankshaft, cylinder, intake and exhaust valves, spark plug, and fuel injection system. These components work together to create the controlled explosions that power the engine.

4. What is the difference between a two-stroke and four-stroke piston engine?

A two-stroke engine completes a power cycle in two strokes of the piston, while a four-stroke engine completes a power cycle in four strokes. This is due to the difference in the number of times the piston moves up and down in the cylinder to complete a full cycle.

5. How is the efficiency of a piston engine measured?

The efficiency of a piston engine is measured by the ratio of the energy output (mechanical work) to the energy input (fuel). This is known as the thermal efficiency and is typically expressed as a percentage.