Gibbs Paradox: Exploring the Logarithm Correction

Gibbs correction at the logarithm of the Z function, rather than at the Z function itself, the Gibbs paradox no longer exists. This correction can be generalized for all cases of gas mixtures, making the expression F = - k_{B} T \sum_{i=1}^{p} \Left( \ln Z_{i} - \ln N_{i} ! \Right) valid for all scenarios. However, there are some concerns about simply summing over the logarithm of each term of the partition function.
nucleartear
What I have not seen in books about the Gibbs paradox is that it doesn't exist if we make the Gibbs correction at the logarithm of the Z function, not at the Z function itself, in that way:

[Tex] \ln Z_{i} - \ln N_{i} ![/Tex]

where [itex]N_{i}[/itex] is the number of identical particles of class [itex]i[/itex], where there are a total of [itex]p[/itex] classes.

With this definition of the correction, we can generalize the three cases of gas mixture (diferent gases, identical gases with different density and identical gases with identical density) in one expresion!:

[Tex] F = - k_{B} T \sum_{i=1}^{p} \Left( \ln Z_{i} - \ln N_{i} ! \Right)[/Tex]

You could say that it's the same but... I think it's not the same! :smile:

If you find some error, please, let me know!

Thanx!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nucleartear said:
[Tex] F = - k_{B} T \sum_{i=1}^{p} \Left( \ln Z_{i} - \ln N_{i} ! \Right)[/Tex]

That's fine except that generally you can't simply sum over the logarithm of each term of the partition function.

Matt

Thank you for bringing up the Gibbs Paradox and the logarithm correction. It is an interesting topic that is often overlooked in books. Your suggestion to make the Gibbs correction at the logarithm of the Z function instead of the Z function itself is a valid approach and can indeed generalize the three cases of gas mixtures into one expression. This approach also highlights the importance of considering the number of identical particles in each class, rather than just the total number of particles in the system.

I agree that this is not the same as the traditional approach and it could potentially avoid the paradox altogether. However, it is important to note that this approach may not be applicable in all cases and may lead to different results. It would be interesting to see further studies and discussions on the implications of this correction method.

Overall, I appreciate your contribution to this topic and your willingness to share your thoughts and ideas. It is through open discussions and different perspectives that we can continue to deepen our understanding of complex concepts like the Gibbs Paradox. Thank you again for your insight!

1. What is the Gibbs Paradox?

The Gibbs Paradox is a paradox in thermodynamics that arises from the calculation of the entropy of a gas mixture. It states that the entropy of a gas mixture is not equal to the sum of the entropies of its individual components, which contradicts the basic principles of thermodynamics.

2. What is the Logarithm Correction in the Gibbs Paradox?

The Logarithm Correction is a mathematical correction that was proposed by J. Willard Gibbs to resolve the Gibbs Paradox. It involves accounting for the non-ideal behavior of gas molecules and their interactions, which can affect the overall entropy of the gas mixture.

3. How does the Logarithm Correction work?

The Logarithm Correction works by adjusting the entropy calculation for a gas mixture by adding a logarithmic term that accounts for the interactions between gas molecules. This correction takes into account the fact that gas molecules do not behave ideally in real-world situations.

4. Why is the Gibbs Paradox important in thermodynamics?

The Gibbs Paradox is important in thermodynamics because it highlights the limitations of the ideal gas law and the need for corrections when dealing with real-world gas mixtures. It also led to the development of statistical thermodynamics, which provides a more accurate understanding of the behavior of gases.

5. How is the Gibbs Paradox relevant in modern science?

The Gibbs Paradox is still relevant in modern science as it continues to be studied and applied in various fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering. It has also led to further research and developments in statistical mechanics and thermodynamics, which have important applications in many areas of science and technology.