How can I combine my love for physics with a career in renewable energy?

In summary: Solar and wind energy involve a lot of materials science, which is also a field within ME.In summary, the individual is currently in their third year of environmental engineering and is considering options for graduate school. Their favorite subject is physics and they have enjoyed courses in dynamics, fluid mechanics, E & M, and statistical mechanics. They have considered switching to a pure physics major, but have a strong desire to work on applied projects and job security is important to them. They are interested in pursuing a career in renewable energy, specifically in the areas of mechanical engineering, materials science, and applied physics. They are unsure of the differences between degrees such as applied physics, engineering physics, and engineering mechanics, and are seeking advice on how to find a job
maxBrunsfeld
i'm in my third year studying environmental engineering and I'm trying to decide what to do for grad school. my favorite subject is physics by far; I've really enjoyed my courses in dynamics, fluid mechanics, E & M, and statistical mechanics, which I'm taking as an elective. i also really liked my computational methods classes. I've considered switching my major to pure physics, but i have a strong desire to work on applied projects, rather than doing theoretical research. also, job security is pretty important to me.

i'd like to go into something involving renewable energy, but I'm not sure what aspect. I've heard that mechanical engineers are often involved in power production in a number of ways, and also that a lot of advances in solar technology come from materials science.

i like the sound of materials science because i would get to learn a lot more physics. but i get the sense (i may be completely mistaken) that most advances in that field come from experiment, and I'm not interested in doing precise lab work with chemicals and such. I'm more interested in doing calculations, simulations and design.

it seems like a lot of interesting physics is involved in mechanical engineering too, but I'm not sure if I would get to work on any truly innovative renewable energy technologies as a mechanical engineer. this may also be completely wrong. I've also thought about other degrees like applied physics or engineering physics or engineering mechanics, but i don't know much about what the differences between these are.

do you guys have any advice about how to job in the renewable energy field that involves interesting physics?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ocean and wind energy involve a lot of fluid mechanics which is well within the scope of ME.

I can understand your dilemma in trying to decide on a graduate program that aligns with your interests and career goals. It is great to hear that you have a strong passion for physics and have enjoyed your coursework in this subject. I would recommend exploring graduate programs that offer a combination of physics and renewable energy, such as a degree in renewable energy engineering, renewable energy physics, or energy systems engineering. These programs will allow you to apply your knowledge of physics to real-world problems in the renewable energy sector.

In terms of job prospects, there are a variety of opportunities in the renewable energy field that require a strong understanding of physics. For example, as you mentioned, mechanical engineers play a crucial role in the design and development of renewable energy technologies such as wind turbines and hydropower systems. Materials scientists are also in demand for their expertise in developing new materials for solar panels and batteries. Additionally, there is a growing need for experts in computational methods and simulations in the renewable energy industry.

I would recommend researching different companies and organizations that are involved in renewable energy and see what types of job positions they offer. This can give you a better understanding of the specific skills and qualifications that are needed for a career in this field. You can also reach out to professionals who are currently working in the renewable energy sector to gain insight into their experiences and career paths.

In terms of specific graduate programs, it would be helpful to speak with advisors or professors in each program to better understand the differences between applied physics, engineering physics, and engineering mechanics. You can also attend information sessions or open houses to learn more about the curriculum and research opportunities in each program.

Overall, my advice would be to continue pursuing your interest in physics while also exploring opportunities in renewable energy. With your background in physics and your desire to work on applied projects, I am confident that you will find a graduate program and a career in the renewable energy field that aligns with your interests and goals. Best of luck in your decision-making process!

1. What is the relationship between physics and renewable energy?

Physics plays a crucial role in understanding and harnessing renewable energy. Renewable energy sources, such as solar, wind, and hydro power, rely on the principles of physics, such as thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and mechanics, to convert natural resources into usable energy.

2. How do renewable energy sources differ from traditional fossil fuels?

Renewable energy sources are natural, replenishable resources that do not emit harmful pollutants or greenhouse gases like traditional fossil fuels do. They also have a lower environmental impact and are more sustainable in the long term.

3. What are some examples of renewable energy technologies?

Some examples of renewable energy technologies include solar panels, wind turbines, hydropower plants, geothermal systems, and biomass energy. These technologies use natural resources, such as sunlight, wind, water, heat from the Earth, and organic matter, to generate electricity or heat.

4. How does physics help improve the efficiency of renewable energy technologies?

Physics principles are used to design and improve the efficiency of renewable energy technologies. For example, thermodynamics is used to optimize the conversion of solar energy into electricity, while mechanics is used to design more efficient wind turbine blades.

5. What are the challenges facing the implementation of renewable energy?

One of the main challenges is the intermittency of renewable energy sources, meaning they are not always available for use. Physics plays a role in developing energy storage solutions to address this issue. Another challenge is the high up-front costs of implementing renewable energy technologies, which can be mitigated through continued research and development in the field of physics.