Design of piezoactuated micropump

• Thread starter frenchero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design
It seems that the person speaking is interested in using PVDF polymer actuators for micropumps, possibly as a membrane. They are unsure if this is possible and if it is feasible and affordable to fabricate. They are seeking guidance and suggestions for further research in this topic.
frenchero
Hello!

I am intersting in microfluidic and especially micropumps with piezoelectrcially actuated membranes.
I would like to use PVDF polymer actuators and even try to use them directly as a membrane but I don't if it's possible and if the fabrication is feasible and cheap?

Could someone give some indications?

Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you mean in a similar fashion to how a peristaltic pump works? Maybe, but you'd probably need to try it. Or look and see if someone's already done it at, say, WebofScience or Google Scholar. Also, you'll probably have to figure out how to make microchannels in this stuff. I believe even when casting in PDMS or PMMA, you do metallization such that you can get electroosmotic (EO) or DiElectroPhoretic (DEP) flow.

EDIT: I am not an expert in microfluidic systems.

Hello there!

It is great to hear that you are interested in microfluidic and micropumps with piezoelectrically actuated membranes. Using PVDF polymer actuators and incorporating them directly as the membrane in a micropump is certainly possible, but the feasibility and cost-effectiveness would depend on various factors such as the specific design and fabrication process.

One potential challenge with using PVDF polymer actuators as the membrane is their relatively low actuation force compared to other materials such as PZT. This may impact the pumping efficiency and flow rate of the micropump. However, with careful design and optimization, it is certainly possible to achieve successful results with PVDF actuators.

In terms of fabrication, there are various techniques that can be used such as micromolding, photolithography, and 3D printing. The choice of fabrication method would depend on the desired design and the resources available. It is important to carefully consider the material properties, fabrication process, and potential cost implications when designing a piezoactuated micropump using PVDF actuators.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

1. What is a piezoactuated micropump?

A piezoactuated micropump is a type of pump that uses piezoelectric materials to generate small movements or vibrations, which in turn creates pressure changes that pump fluids through tiny channels or chambers. These pumps are typically used for precise and controlled fluid delivery in microfluidic systems.

2. How does a piezoactuated micropump work?

A piezoactuated micropump works by utilizing the piezoelectric effect, which is the ability of certain materials to generate an electric charge when subjected to mechanical stress. When an electric field is applied to the piezoelectric material, it causes it to vibrate and deform, creating pressure changes that move the fluid through the pump.

3. What are the advantages of using a piezoactuated micropump?

There are several advantages of using a piezoactuated micropump, including its small size, low power consumption, and precise control over fluid flow. These pumps are also highly reliable and have a long lifespan, making them ideal for use in medical and scientific applications.

4. What are some common applications of piezoactuated micropumps?

Piezoactuated micropumps are commonly used in microfluidic systems for drug delivery, chemical analysis, and biological research. They are also used in medical devices such as insulin pumps and implantable drug delivery systems. Other applications include inkjet printing, microvalves, and microscale cooling systems.

5. What are some factors to consider when designing a piezoactuated micropump?

When designing a piezoactuated micropump, factors such as the fluid properties, desired flow rate, and pump size must be taken into account. The material and shape of the piezoelectric element, as well as the design of the pump's channels and valves, also play a crucial role in its performance. Other considerations include the power source, control circuitry, and overall cost of the pump.