Get the Facts on Step Relays

• Thread starter ahmedahmed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Facts
In summary, a step relay, also known as a stepper switch or stepper relay, is a mechanically complicated device that uses a coil of wire to attract a piece of iron and move a lever with a hook. This causes the relay to rotate a gear wheel in steps, which can be used to turn electrical contacts on and off. They were commonly used in old telephone exchanges and can also be used in other applications such as sequential lighting or in washing machines.
ahmedahmed
step relay?

Hi everybody

I heard that there is a step relay device and I didn't see it.

Can anyone help me about it?
I need information and pictures

Thanks

Best regards
Ahmed Hassan

Engineering news on Phys.org

Look up "stepper relay" on Google. plenty of replies there.

These relays are mechanically complicated but the principle is easy.
A current is passed through a coil of wire. This attracts a piece of iron which moves a little lever with a hook on it.
The hook pulls on the teeth of a gear wheel one tooth at a time each time the coil gets current.

This causes the relay to rotate the wheel in steps. This might then cause the wheel to turn electrical contacts on and off.

You could use this to switch to turn lights on in sequence or you could use it to switch telephone lines. Old telephone exchanges used to use these for doing this.

You could use it in a washing machine to turn on the water then the motor and so on.

They're also called "stepper switch".

http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/geog/gessler/topics/step-switch-1-24-b.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for all

1. What is a step relay?

A step relay is an electro-mechanical device that is used to switch electrical circuits on and off in a sequential manner. It is commonly used in industrial and automation applications where precise timing and sequencing of operations is required.

2. How does a step relay work?

A step relay works by using a series of electromechanical switches called contacts. When a current is applied to the coil of the relay, it creates a magnetic field that pulls the contacts together, completing the circuit and allowing the flow of electricity. Once the current is removed, the contacts return to their original position, breaking the circuit.

3. What are the advantages of using step relays?

Step relays offer several advantages, including their compact size, low cost, and high reliability. They also have a long lifespan, making them a cost-effective solution for many industrial applications. Additionally, step relays can be easily replaced or upgraded as needed.

4. What are the common applications of step relays?

Step relays are commonly used in industrial control systems, such as motor control, lighting control, and conveyor systems. They are also used in automation processes, such as in manufacturing and assembly lines, to control the sequence of operations.

5. How do I choose the right step relay for my application?

When choosing a step relay, it is important to consider factors such as the required voltage and current ratings, the number of steps needed, and the timing requirements of your application. It is also important to ensure that the step relay is compatible with the other components in your system. Consulting with a knowledgeable supplier or engineer can help you select the right step relay for your specific needs.