Number theory. numbers of the form 111 111.

In summary, Petek attempted to solve a problem where he needed to prove that if a number is prime, then every digit is a multiple of that number. However, he was unable to do so because he needed to show that n wasn't prime.
cap.r

Homework Statement

consider the number m=111...1 with n digits, all ones. Prove that if m is Prime, then n is prime

Homework Equations

def of congruence. fermat's and euler's theorem. can also use σ(n): the sum of all the positive divisors of n, d(n): the number of positive divisors of n, φ(n): Euler's totient function φ, counting the positive integers coprime to (but not bigger than) n

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to prove that every odd prime except 5 divides on of these numbers.

3|111 so let's look at P>5 which do not divide 10.
now all such numbers can be represented by [tex]\frac{10^(^P^-^1^)-1}{9}[/tex] using fermat's theorem I can say this is congruent to 0(mod P). so now every prime P that i plug into this will give me a one of these numbers. obviously it doesn't work with non primes since we used fermat's little theorem.

so now i don't know what to do exactly... if m is prime then i know it's not one of these numbers and the sum of it's digits is odd. but i am stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your attempted solution ("I managed to prove that every odd prime except 5 divides on of these numbers." and so on) doesn't really address what you need to prove. Try a proof by contradiction. Observe that

[tex]m = \frac{10^n - 1}{9}[/tex]

The hypothesis is that m is prime. Now assume that n is composite and derive a contradiction.

Let me know if this suggestion isn't clear, or if you'd like more help.

Petek

I am afraid I don't see it... here is what I have the critical step is missing.

let [tex]m = \frac{10^n - 1}{9}[/tex] assume m is a prime with n digits.
now i assume n is not prime so n = P1k1*...*Prkr so now m=((10^P1k1)^..^Prkr-1)/9

since m is prime...

sorry i couldn't get it to show up right in latex.

Look at it this way. If n is not prime, then there is a k that divides n. Then doesn't 11...1 with k ones divide m? You can write out the factorization.

1. What is number theory?

Number theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of numbers. It involves studying the patterns and structures of numbers, including prime numbers, integers, and rational numbers.

2. What are numbers of the form 111 111?

Numbers of the form 111 111 are known as repdigit numbers. They are positive integers that have all of their digits as the same number, in this case, 1. Other examples of repdigit numbers include 222 222, 333 333, and so on.

3. Are numbers of the form 111 111 prime?

No, numbers of the form 111 111 are not prime numbers. They are divisible by 3, which means they have more than two factors and do not fit the definition of a prime number.

4. What is the significance of numbers of the form 111 111?

Numbers of the form 111 111 have been used in various mathematical puzzles and games, such as the famous "guess the number" game. They also have some interesting properties, such as being palindromic (meaning they read the same backward and forwards) and having a sum of digits equal to 6.

5. Can numbers of the form 111 111 be written in other bases?

Yes, numbers of the form 111 111 can be written in other bases, such as binary (1101111), octal (157), and hexadecimal (6F). In these bases, the number would still be considered a repdigit, as all of the digits are the same.