Dynamics: finding the coefficent of friction.

In summary: Thanks, could you please show me the formulas and methods used to find 0.26. Its the right anwser but i still don't know how to do it.You can use the equation of motion, F=ma:F=maYou can use the equation of motion, F=ma:F=maIn summary, the coefficient of friction is 0.26.
AndrewMaccyD

Homework Statement

The question:
It takes a 5.0 N force to pull a 2.0kg object along the ground. What is the coefficient of Friction.

Its Pretty Blunt, and i have been stuck on it for about 10 minutes, There must be a step that i don't know or am missing because i get stuck

Homework Equations

Sum of the Forces = m*a
Force of Friction = Coefficient of Friction*Force Normal
Fg=m*a

The Attempt at a Solution

There must be a equation i am missing, to find out the Force of Friction
heres where i get to:
Fp= 5N
m=2kg
Fg-Fn= 0
Fg= 19.6
Fn= 19.6

I would be extremely grateful if i could get some help on this question

Physics news on Phys.org
It takes a 5.0 N force to pull a 2.0 kg object along the ground. What is the coefficient of friction? 0.26
http://www.mouatonline.com/Teachers/BHutchinson/Physics/Phys11/Unit%203/PS36.htm" you have the solution (No procedure). It seems that you don't take into consideration acceleration. Maybe 5 N is the force that moves the body from the rest position. Google a little bit, problems with similar text say that body is moving with constant velocity.

Last edited by a moderator:
AndrewMaccyD said:
There must be a equation i am missing, to find out the Force of Friction
heres where i get to:
Fp= 5N
m=2kg
Fg-Fn= 0
Fg= 19.6
Fn= 19.6

[tex]F = \mu_kN[/tex]

where F is the force of friction and N is the normal force. [itex]\mu_k[/itex] is the ratio of friction force to normal force. You are given the friction force (ie. the applied force is equal and opposite to the kinetic friction force as there is no acceleration). You can work out the normal force from the mass. Divide the former by the latter.

AM

Thanks, could you please show me the formulas and methods used to find 0.26. Its the right anwser but i still don't know how to do it.

How did you get acceleration for [tex]\Sigma[/tex]forces = m*a

AndrewMaccyD said:
Thanks, could you please show me the formulas and methods used to find 0.26. Its the right anwser but i still don't know how to do it.
?? I gave you the formula! It is:

[tex]F = \mu_kN[/tex]

The normal force exactly balances the gravitational force, mg. So:

[tex]F = \mu_kmg[/tex]

[tex]\mu_k = F/mg = 5/2*9.8 = .26[/tex]

AM

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a dimensionless quantity that represents the ratio of the force of friction between two surfaces to the normal force pressing the two surfaces together.

2. How is the coefficient of friction determined?

The coefficient of friction can be determined by dividing the force of friction by the normal force. This can be done experimentally by measuring the force required to move an object across a surface at a constant velocity, and then dividing that force by the weight of the object.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants.

4. Why is the coefficient of friction important?

The coefficient of friction is important because it helps us understand the resistance between two surfaces and how much force is required to overcome that resistance. This is crucial in designing and maintaining efficient and safe machinery and structures.

5. Can the coefficient of friction be changed?

Yes, the coefficient of friction can be changed by altering the properties of the surfaces in contact. For example, adding a lubricant can reduce the coefficient of friction, while increasing the roughness of the surfaces can increase the coefficient of friction.