Please help Gas problem for assignment

In summary, two containers, A and B, are initially holding the same ideal gas at different pressures and temperatures. When the valves between them are opened, the pressures equalize and the temperatures remain constant. Using the PV = nRT formula and knowing the volume of container B is four times that of A, the pressure in both containers can be found by solving for the number of moles in each container and plugging it back into the formula. The final pressure is 200 000 Pa.
vortex193

Homework Statement

Container A holds an ideal gas at a pressure of 5x10^5 Pa and a temperature of 300 K. It is connected by a thin tube (and closed valve) to container B, with four times the volume of A. Container B holds the same ideal gas at a pressure of 10^5 Pa and a temperature of 400 K. The valve is opened to allow the pressures to equalize. What is the pressure in the two containers? Note: The temperatures in the containers do not go to an equilibrium and both temperatures stay at their original temperatures.

Homework Equations

PV = nRT (R = 8.31 J/mol*K)

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I hesitated to post because I'm not familiar with this problem.
You might try using your PV = nRT formula. The pressures will equalize so you'll have
P1 = P2
where each P = nRT/V.
You know the R,T and V for each. How will n1 and n2 be related?

No relation was given for n1 and n2.

Is n the number of moles or molecules? If so, then you know n1 + n2 equals the n1 + n2 from the original configuration, which you can figure out and get an actual number for.

n = number of moles. So the final pressure would equal.

P = (n1 +n2)RT/V

but what would T and V be? remember that both containers begin and end with the same temperature.

I think you misunderstood me. I said
P1 = P2
n1*R*T1/V1 = n2*R*T2/V2 and n1+n2 = n (known number).
You know R,T1,V1,T2,V2 so your have unknowns n1 and n2 and two equations relating them. Thus you can find n1 and n2. Then you can go back and use P = n1*R*T1/V1 to find P.

Actually V1 and V2 is not given. You only know that V2 is 4 times V1.

That will work - put in "v1" and "4V1" and cancel the V1's.

I don't understand how you can find n1 and n2 if you do not have n.

n=PV/(RT) for the original container A + PV/(RT) for the original container B
Oh, yes you'll have V1's in there - but surely they cancel out when you put the n1 and n2 into n1*R*T1/V1 = n2*R*T2/V2

Wow. This question really does not make sense to me. I don't even know how to isolate for either n1 or n2.

n=PV/(RT) for the original container A + PV/(RT)
=5*V/(R*300) + 1*4V/(R*400)
= .0267*V/R

n = n1 + n2 so n2 = .0267*V/R - n1
sub into n1*R*T1/V1 = n2*R*T2/V2 to get
n1*R*300/V = (.0267*V/R - n1)*R*400/(4V)
Take all the n1 terms to the left:
n1*R*300/V + n1*R*400/(4V) = .0267*V/R*R*400/(4V)
n1*300 + n1*400/(4) = .0267*V/R*400/(4) divide by R, mult by V
n1*(300 + 100) = 2.67*V/R
n1 = .006675*V/R

P1 = n1*R*T1/V1
= .006675*V/R*R*300/V
= 2
I put the pressure in units of 100 000 Pa so this is really 200 000 Pa.

Wow. Thank you. I really appreciate it. Where is the thanks button on this forum so I can thank you? I'm in Grade 12 and I am sure this is not a high school level question. Thank you once again.

1. What is the definition of a gas problem?

A gas problem, also known as flatulence, is a condition where excessive gas builds up in the digestive system and is expelled from the body through burping or passing gas.

2. What are the common causes of gas problems?

Gas problems are often caused by certain foods and beverages, such as beans, dairy products, and carbonated drinks. Other common causes include swallowing air, bacterial overgrowth in the intestines, and digestive disorders.

3. How can I prevent gas problems?

To prevent gas problems, it is important to identify and avoid trigger foods and to eat slowly and chew food thoroughly. Regular exercise and managing stress can also help prevent gas problems.

4. What are some ways to relieve gas problems?

There are several ways to relieve gas problems, including taking over-the-counter medications such as simethicone, using natural remedies like peppermint or ginger, and practicing relaxation techniques. Regular exercise can also help relieve gas problems.

5. When should I seek medical help for gas problems?

If gas problems are persistent and accompanied by other symptoms such as abdominal pain, bloating, or changes in bowel movements, it is important to consult a doctor. These could be signs of a more serious underlying condition that requires medical treatment.