Kinetic energy stored in the flyweel

In summary, a car's rotating flywheel with a radius of 2.19 m and a mass of 679 kg stores kinetic energy when attached to an electric motor that brings its rotational speed to 7310 rev/min. Using the correct equation for inertia, the kinetic energy stored in the flywheel is found to be 954157346 J.
jeneekim

Homework Statement

A car is designed to get its energy from a ro-
tating flywheel with a radius of 2.19 m and
a mass of 679 kg. Before a trip, the fly-
wheel is attached to an electric motor, which
brings the flywheel’s rotational speed up to
7310 rev/min.
Find the kinetic energy stored in the fly-
wheel.
Answer in units of J.

Homework Equations

KE = 1/2I[tex]\omega[/tex]2
I = mr2

The Attempt at a Solution

given:
r = 2.19 m
m = 679 kg
[tex]\omega[/tex] = 7310 rev/min = 765.50141 rad/s

I = mr2
= (679 kg)(2.19 m)2
= 3256.5519 kgm2

KE = 1/2I[tex]\omega[/tex]2
= 1/2(3256.5519 kgm2)(765.50141 rad/s)2
= 954157346 J

When I enter this answer, it says that it is incorrect? Could someone please let me know what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I figured it out! I was using the wrong equation for Inertia...it should be:

I = 1/2mr^2

Your calculations and use of the equations seem to be correct. However, there may be a problem with the units. In the given answer, the units are in Joules (J), but the units for angular velocity (\omega) should be in radians per second (rad/s) instead of revolutions per minute (rev/min). Try converting the given \omega value to rad/s and then redoing the calculations. This should give you the correct answer in Joules.

What is kinetic energy stored in the flywheel?

Kinetic energy stored in the flywheel is the energy that is stored in the rotating mass of a flywheel due to its motion.

How is kinetic energy stored in the flywheel useful?

Kinetic energy stored in the flywheel can be harnessed and used to power various mechanical devices, such as engines and generators.

What factors affect the amount of kinetic energy stored in a flywheel?

The amount of kinetic energy stored in a flywheel is affected by its mass, radius, and rotational speed.

How does kinetic energy stored in the flywheel compare to other forms of energy storage?

Kinetic energy stored in the flywheel is a form of mechanical energy storage, which is typically more efficient and has a higher power density compared to other forms of energy storage, such as chemical or electrical energy storage.

Can kinetic energy stored in the flywheel be converted back into other forms of energy?

Yes, kinetic energy stored in the flywheel can be converted back into other forms of energy, such as electrical energy, through the use of a generator.